Consulting

Thread: Need help automating a very labour intensive coverage report

VBAX Newbie
    Question Need help automating a very labour intensive coverage report

Hi. Full disclosure, I know very little of VBA and cannot code on my own. I am trying to automate a type of report which takes me and my company hours and hours to formulate. The report is called a coverage report and contains the following elements on its pages:

2x2 table - Each cell has one of following headings - Publication, Edition, Circulation, Date
    <line space>
    Headline:
    <line space>
    <Image to be inserted>
    <line space>
    <page break>

and repeat. There are 200 such pages and each page requires tremendous amounts of copy pasting right now. I have all the data with me in an excel file which is classified very neatly in columns for Publication, Date, Circulation, Edition, and Headline. I have all the images in one folder on my desktop. My question, is there a script/macro/solution from God himself that can create this report with only a few clicks and save me and my colleagues thousands of man hours every year?

Thank you.

VBAX Contributor
    Are you doing this with office products? If so you can pretty much do anything you want to do in Word, Access, Excel, etc.. Just a matter of writing the code.

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar
    Probably with enough detailed explanation of what needs to be done. I don't know if anyone here will hand to you on a silver platter but most here are willing to help within reason. Your company might be well served to hire it done.
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com

VBAX Newbie
    Thank you. Unfortunately, I am neither the CEO nor the Chairman so I can't make the call. I've made suggestions but they have fallen on deaf ears, and so I took it upon myself to change things. Hence, I'm here. Do not need your silver platter, but I'm grateful for the advice.

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar
    I would likely start with a Word Userform that has a listbox populated with data from your Excel file. Add a column to that Excel file that give the graphic file name associated with each record. Then basically create a Loop for each row in the listbox 1) insert the table 2) fill the table with the row data, 3) insert the graphic, ) Page break, Loop
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com

VBAX Contributor
    Figure out how long it takes to manually do it and than figure out the cost from there. Then present it to the powers above and what they can save - they typically think better with $$$ savings. Is this in word? If so you can click on View --> Macros (You might have to enable it for it to show up on the bar - if I remember right) and than click on Record Macro. This will record all your steps you do and convert it to code that you can look at. This might help get you pointed in the right direction.

You could higher someone to help you out and I would think you could get a good start for a few hundred bucks.