Consulting

Thread: Access public form variable losing value after event ends?

VBAX Newbie
    currently, Biloxi, MS, was (& plan to b in future) Orlando or Boca Raton, FL area where I lived most of my life
    Question Access public form variable losing value after event ends?

MS Office 365, MS Access, VBA
    I know I can use a Module public (global) variable, but it would seem that I should (and maybe have in past versions) be able to use a public variable declared on top of the form code that would retain it's value between events?

I set it's value in an event, then right after, in another event, the value is gone? If I call another procedure, function, class module, etc. from an event the value is maintained, but after the event ends the value is gone?

I am very old school when in the late 80s programs would have a memory leak and keep using memory, so I feel that a Module global variable would use memory/performance/etc when I should be able to declare a variable within a form and it will keep it's value while the form is open even between events, as a public (global) module variable does throughout the application while the app is open. A public (global) module variable works. I thought I once did this years ago?

Personally, I would use a Private Module level variable in the Form's module. I don't know if that would make a difference in your situation, but it would prevent any other code from accessing the variable. I would also prefix the variable name with an "f"
    Private fVarName as whatever
    If the problem persists, I would try converting it to a Property
    Private fVarName As Whatever

Private Property Get PropertyName() As Whatever
    PropertyName = fVarName
    End Property

Private Property Let PropertyName(InputValue As Whatever)
    fVarName = InputValue
    End Property
    Note that if the Variable is an Object type, You need to use a Property Set sub. If you declare the Property Subs Public, any code in any module can access them

How to use in UserForm event codes
    Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Me.PropertName = "SeventySeven Bottles Of Beer"
    End Sub

Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    With Me
    .Label1.Caption = .PropertyName
    .PropertyName = ""
    End With
    End Sub
    If you declare the Properties Public, then in another module, (While the Form is NOT unloaded,)
    Sub T()
    Dim MyVar As STring
    MyVar = UserForm1.PropertyName
    UserForm1.PropertyName = "A Partridge in a Pear tree"
    End Sub
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ