Consulting

Thread: Outlook And IMAP And POP3

VBAX Newbie
    Outlook And IMAP And POP3

I'm currently using Outlook 2010, but I've moved from the Office 365 Exchange server to a server with only IMAP/POP3. This has made Outlook next to useless, and because I rely heavily on macros I need a new email client that has a "macro-type" programming capability.

VBA has been nice as it allows me to fully automate just about anything to do with email.

What other email clients are there that have the same "VBA-type" programming capability? JavaScript would be fine (I'll learn other programming languages if need be)... I see other clients like Thunderbird, but I read where it won't allow certain automation, such as, sending an email without displaying the form to the user first, and then requiring them to manually select "send".

I've been googling, but no real results... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Outlook does IMAP and POP3
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    ?
    Outlook does IMAP and POP3
    Microsoft Outlook 2010

How do I set up Outlook 2010 for POP3 or IMAP4 access to my e-mail account?

1. Open Outlook 2010. If the Microsoft Outlook 2010 Startup wizard displays automatically, on the first page of the wizard, click Next. Then, on the E-mail Accounts page of the wizard, click Next again to set up an e-mail account.
      If the Microsoft Outlook 2010 Startup wizard doesn't appear, on the Outlook 2010 toolbar, click the File tab. Then, just above the Account Settings button, click Add Account.
    2. Click Manually configure server s...

Read more

Better IMAP in Outlook 2010

By the Outlook team, on February 5, 2010 | of the things we have improved in Outlook 2010 is IMAP accounts. IMAP is a protocol that is used by many e-mail services, including Gmail and AOL. If your e-mail service supports IMAP, you can use Outlook to access your e-mail.

Here are some of the IMAP improvements in Outlook 2010:
    Automatic configuration
    If you have an e-mail account that supports IMAP, your acco....

Read More

While Microsoft had improved IMAP in Outlook 2010 because of its commitment to multiple platform access, frankly for use only on a single device, such as a PC, POP has advantages, most notably being the local storage of the e-mail data. All PC versions of Outlook support POP and IMAP servers.
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

VBAX Newbie
    Thanks for the replies guys! Let me explain a little further... We were using Exchange, but then had to move to a server with only IMAP (still using Outlook)... Outlook using IMAP creates two .pst files (one for the IMAP server and the other for calendar/tasks, etc.) This is confusing for some employees because they don't understand why they have two identical email accounts showing in Outlook... Also, if they accidentally try to send from the .pst account that is used only for the calendar/tasks it will sometimes throw an error (causing more issues).

I like Outlook and the macro control capabilities, and if one uses an exchange server it works great, but if you go to IMAP (still using Outlook), or even worse POP3, Outlook becomes somewhat of a pain (for us at least).

I was hoping that there was another email client (like Outlook) which had programming capabilities such as using macros.... I haven't been able to find anything comparable that would provide full programming control, so I gave in and decided to set up supervisory staff on exchange server accounts (using Outlook), and all others using online IMAP accounts (not using Outlook).

If anyone stumbles across this thread and knows of a better setup, please let me know.

: but is it possible for VBA to move the Calendar .pst to the main account as Outlook retrieves the data?