Consulting

Thread: Looking for help to identify matches across multiple columns

Looking for help to identify matches across multiple columns

Hi,
    Im a newbie with excel, but very keen to learn more so please bear with me.

I have an excel workbook with around 4000 rows of data and two sheets (simplified version uploaded). I have 1 main sheet (Sheet1 - Names) in which I want to cross reference delimited company names with (Sheet2 - Companies).

I need to search a string in 3 columns of key words then in the 4th column return the result (search return either name ID or "no match")
    i.e.

Sheet 1 - Names

Name1 Name2 Name3
    TEST CASE HERE
    THE WHITE COMPANY
    RALPH LAUREN LTD
    Search row 2 TEST CASE HERE In Sheet 2 - companies, and return the company ID 1 to show a match.

Company_ID COMPANY1 COMPANY2 COMPANY3
    1 TEST CASE HERE
    2 THE WHITE COMPANY
    3 RALPH LAUREN LTD
    4 GENERAL ELECTRIC LTD

In column E of the Names Sheet I have set up a Index Match = =IFERROR(INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(B2&C2&D2,Companies!$A:$A=B2&Companies!$B:$B=C2&C ompanies!$C:$C=D2,0),1),"no match")

However there is a problem and the search does not return the ID I'm expecting, instead it is saying there is no match - what am I doing wrong?

I also tried to turn this into a VBA - to again no success. I'm really struggling and would be very grateful for some direction.

Thank you,

MiniMacro

companies_v3.0.xlsx

Copy this formula to "D2" on "Names" and drag it down.

=IF(COUNTIF($A2:$C2, "<>"),IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(Names!$A2=Companies!$B2),--(Names!$B2=Companies!$C2),--(Names!$C2=Companies!$D2)),Companies!$A2,"No Match"),"")
    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

"1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3 - 573PH3N H4WK1NG"

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!! Sorry I didn't mention - the names in the Company sheet are in a random order so
    sheet 1 (Names) items appear as:
    Name1 Name2 Name3
    TEST CASE HERE
    THE WHITE COMPANY
    RALPH LAUREN LTD
    WALMART PHARMACY LTD

however in sheet two (companies):

COMPANY1 COMPANY2 COMPANY3
    RALPH LAUREN LTD
    TEST CASE HERE
    UBER LTD
    THE WHITE COMPANY

Is there a way to search the columns?

Here is the revised formula. This will work with the tables being mismatched.

=IF(COUNTA(Names!$A2:$C2)=0,"",IFERROR(INDEX(Companies!$A$2:$A$16,MATCH(Names!$A2&Names!$B2&Names!$C2,Companies!$B$2:$B$16&Companies!$C$2:$C$16&Companies!$D$2:$D$16,0)),"No Match"))
    This is an Array Formula. You must enter the formula using the keys Control+Shift+Enter and then drag it down. Currently, the last row is set to row 16 on the "Companies" worksheet. You can increase the the last row as need. Be sure to prefix it with a dollar sign $.
    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Ross View Post
    Hello Minimacro.

Here is the revised formula. This will work with the tables being mismatched.

=IF(COUNTA(Names!$A2:$C2)=0,"",IFERROR(INDEX(Companies!$A$2:$A$16,MATCH(Names!$A2&Names!$B2&Names!$C2,Companies!$B$2:$B$16&Companies!$C$2:$C$16&Companies!$D$2:$D$16,0)),"No Match"))
    This is an Array Formula. You must enter the formula using the keys Control+Shift+Enter and then drag it down. Currently, the last row is set to row 16 on the "Companies" worksheet. You can increase the the last row as need. Be sure to prefix it with a dollar sign $.
    Morning Leith,

Sorry for the late reply, I was using a Mac and I couldn't get it to work but had great success with this once I used it on Windows Microsoft Office!

Thanks very much for all your help.

I am surprised this didn't work on the Mac. As long as you were able to use it successfully, that is what matters. You're welcome.
    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross