Consulting

Thread: Microsoft Access Form (.MAF) files

Microsoft Access Form (.MAF) files

I was shown an Access program that, depending on which desktop icon you clicked, it opened the program using a different form. It was created a long time ago and I haven't been able to figure out how it is setup.

I have a 2016 program I've written and would like to load it the same way. Some users will load form one and other would load different form.

Any ideas how they created the shortcuts?
    ttfn

Kicker

VBAX Guru
    I think that old method was based on the Command Line that opened the Database.
    But the same thing can be achieved using a hidden form to decide which user has opened the database and make the decision at that point.
    Would you like to try the latter method?

ps. I have checked the Command line feature and it still requires VBA code or a Macro to open the required form.
    Last edited by OBP; 09-25-2017 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks OBP. YEARS ago I used the command line code but I guess I'm getting older and forgot. I only use VBA. This project probably has several thousands of line of code and I am using code with a login inputbox to set people's authorization. I was just surprised when I saw the desk icons and my mind wasn't computing.

My body might be 70, but I still feel like 50. Bummer.
    ttfn

Kicker

VBAX Guru
    As you have them logging in it is only a simple step to set up what form to open for them in the User table.
    Do you have a change password form?

I let people change their own passwords and keep them in a hidden file somewhere on the system. Even though the location is hard coded into the vba, I keep my own password for the vba protection. A copy of that password is locked in a safe at the various offices. And, each individual is tagged with a certain level of authorization where everyone can use different sections of the program
    ttfn

Kicker

VBAX Guru

VBAX Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Kicker View Post
    Any ideas how they created the shortcuts?
    Drag each form's icon from the database window to the desktop/folder.

VBAX Guru
    Jonh, interesting, does that overcome the opening procedures of the Access Database?

VBAX Expert
    Doesn't seem to. The Startup form and autoexec macro still run.