Consulting

Thread: Not allow move to folder w/o containing certain text in subject line

Not allow move to folder w/o containing certain text in subject line

I am looking for some guidance on how to prevent an email from being moved to certain folders without certain text in the subject line. Ideally, adding a prompt to remind people that they need to add that text before moving it.

The problem I'm trying to solve is we have a shared mailbox which folks need to work out of and then move a finished email to a Processed folder. Before they move it to the Processed folder it needs to have the ticket number included. We've noticed a lot of unworked emails getting moved to this Processed folder either intentionally or in error so working to prevent that in an automated way if possible.

Using Outlook 2013

If you add the following code to the ThisOutlookSession module of the VBA editor, and either restart Outlook (saving the code) or run the macro Application_Startup from the editor, if you move a message to the Processed folder (a sub folder of Inbox) and the text 'Ticket No:' is missing from the subject the user should get a prompt warning that the ticket number is missing and the message is opened to enable it to be edited.

Option Explicit
    Private WithEvents Items As Outlook.Items

Private Sub Application_Startup()
    Dim olNS As NameSpace
        Set olNS = GetNamespace("MAPI")
        Set Items = olNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).folders("Processed").Items
    lbl_Exit:
        Exit Sub
    End Sub

Private Sub Items_ItemAdd(ByVal item As Object)
    Dim olFolder As Folder
        On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
        If InStr(1, item.Subject, "Ticket No:") = 0 Then
            MsgBox "Add the ticket number to the subject, or move the message back where it came from!"
            item.Display
        End If
    lbl_Exit:
        Exit Sub
    ErrorHandler:
        MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
        Err.Clear
        GoTo lbl_Exit
    End Sub
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com