Consulting

Thread: Repeated database corruption, tried everything, please help

VBAX Newbie
    Repeated database corruption, tried everything, please help

Hi,
    Would very much appreciate people's input here as I am struggling to solve this and it is causing our users a lot of headaches. I am at my wit's end.
    I have an ACCDB 2016 Access database hosted on a single 2012 R2 server, split SQL back end, MS Office 2016. Each user connects to the server via remote desktop and a login script copies the ACCDB from a central location to their local documents which is where they access it.

The users are randomly getting corruption on the database. The errors and behaviour include:

• Error messages about can't find macro, can't find VBA code when clicking on something (as if the macro and VBA coding have vanished underneath)
    • Error message Cannot open database '', expression may not result in name of a macro or event procedure, detected database in an inconsistent state, cannot be opened because VBA project cannot be read, unrecognized database format etc
    • User using the database then leaves it idle for a while, comes back, can't click anything (one or more of the errors above), then crashes
    • User using the database and the above happens as they are actively using it (although the idle one above is more common than this one)

I have tried the following without success:

• Create new blank database, import everything into it (this seemed to work well for a while and then the corruption started again)
    • Decompile / recompile / compact/repair
    • Removing references, adding references
    • Creating ACCDE
    • Repairing Office
    • Ensuring Windows and Office up to date via Windows Update

More info:

• I have been developing the master ACCDB for the last 10 months under my adminatrative remote desktop on the server, I have never once encountered the corruption the users are getting
    • The users each have a restricted remote desktop on the server, locked down by GPO (can't access internet, can only open office docs, etc)
    • I have a test login with the same restrictions as the users that I have used the database in for hours and days at a time without encountering the error (ie it's very hard to replicate, random)
    • The users will get the corruption on average two or three times per day - no pattern to when, which screen/report, which user, sometimes not at all - all "random"
    • I managed to copy one of the user's database when they got the error and the VBA code in the database was inaccessible (in fact it looked like it just wasn't there)

Thanks

VBAX Guru
    So, you say "I have an ACCDB 2016 Access database hosted on a single 2012 R2 server, split SQL back end, MS Office 2016. Each user connects to the server via remote desktop and a login script copies the ACCDB from a central location to their local documents which is where they access it."
    I assume it is the front end that is being copied to their Documents folder?
    Are you still using the front end without problems?
    I assume that all your VBA has Error Handling in place?
    Have you taken a copy of your front end and placed it on one of their remote terminals and physically used it?
    What kind of controls are on the SQL Back End, ie record locking etc?

I have vba code that logs all interactions by users that records what they are doing on each form that might assist your analysis, but it sounds totally random, which suggests it may not originate in the front end.

VBAX Newbie
    Managed to trace it to group policy File Copy (User Config - Preferences - Files). This is used to copy the accdb from central location to user's documents folder at remote desktop logon. The file seems to copy fine when they log on (replaces the one that's there). They are definitely then using the local copy of the file (checked this) and then at some point the corruption occurs while they're using it. I removed the File Copy, copied the central db to their local folder manually, and the corruption doesn't occur. Anybody know why this would be? Is there an alternative to GPO file copy I could try.
    Thanks

Configuring access to a database in this way, I guess you allow data to be retrieved from tables and update or insert... Today in web developpement, Vagrant, Docker allow developper to work in the same environment configuration. Could virtualization apply to your application?