Consulting

Thread: CMD Prompt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    VBAX Regular
    Question CMD Prompt

Does anyone in this forum know how to resolve this problem or perhaps direct me to another site?

I am using REN to batch name files. The code is working on and off. I was able to figure out some solutions.

To make this short: right now the CMD will not change my file names when I add .pdf to the end of the new file name. In the instructional video the guy said to add the extension and his worked. When I first tested this months ago I may have used Word docs as my test and the doc names changed no problem. But it's not working with pdf.

I created a template to Concatenate the REN coding (don't know what it's called). I have attached my spreadsheet. I think it's attached. Batch Renaming Template.xlsx

Also my PDF had a password, but I have removed the password from all the pdf's and I know they are unlocked because I can export the contents to Excel. This feature will not work if it's locked.

VBAX Regular
    There are some rules related to this that I'm not aware of. It's clear for example use my local drive and not the network, no odd characters (foreign names). 4 of the 5 PDF names changed. I thought there were extra spaces I the one the did not change, but that's not the case.

So I typed a different name to use for the rename and now CMD prompt says there are duplicates, so is this another rule you can only change the names in a folder with CMD prompt once?

VBAX Regular
    OK found the other problem, the length of the file name is causing the problem with the one document that did not change. There is almost no point in this. Foreign names can be really long and the files have to show their entire name. They don't use SS # to identify themselves so duplicates can be a problem. Below is just one name and that's the top level name of the file folder. The 2nd is her name with what type of doc added. UGHGHGH! Maybe I'll bring in my personal laptop and download one of the file rename software. I work as contractor for the gov't and they restrict downloads. That sounds like a problem as well. I'm expecting 2,000-2,500 documents from new to Dec 31st and I really need a batch file rename.

RAVOLOLOMIHARIMANANA_Fanjanirina Nancia Gabrielle

RAVOLOLOMIHARIMANANA_Fanjanirina Nancia Gabrielle_APP

VBAX Regular
    I'm sorry I figured out the problem. Extra spaces. It's not the length, nothing wrong with using .pdf. It was extra spaces.