Consulting

Thread: Update Access 2010 database

Update Access 2010 database

Hello,
    I am downloading Access database from a vendor's web site and using the same for our analysis. I created a few queries on the database based on the tables. This database has several tables.
    As new jobs are done by vendor, additional records are created by the vendor. I am downloading the database periodically (once in 2 months), create the same queries in the recent version and deleting the old database.
    Is there any way that I can update the old version with the recently-downloaded version? As I see it, the structure and number of tables have not changed, but only more records are added in the tables. This will avoid in rewriting the same queries on the new database.
    Thanks in advance

Krishna

VBAX Tutor
    Keep YOUR version. This will have all the queries and code.
    SPLIT the database via DATABASE TOOLS tab, ACCESS Database. This will split the queries from the tables.
    (it usu asks you to name the table mydatabase_BE.mdb) the backend.

Then when you get a new db, overwrite mydatabase_BE.mdb with the new version.
    now you still have your queries and new data.

Hi ranman, Thanks for the tip. I'll try that method and it will save me additional work.

VBAX Guru
    Or you can just import the updated tables and then use an Update or Append query to update your own tables.
    It depends on whether you change any data in the tables yourslef.
    Or you can import the tables and just rename the old ones and rename the new ones with the old ones original names.
    The Import and Queries in option 1 can all be handled with VBA.
    Last edited by OBP; 12-11-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks OBP. In fact, I have too many tables in the database. This is the front end of SQL database and contains lot of data I am not using.

VBAX Guru
    I am not sure of the relevance of the number of tables has on Automatically importing, updating and then deleting the Imports?