Consulting

Thread: Find a cell in a range based on a condition & change the value of the cell beneath

Find a cell in a range based on a condition & change the value of the cell beneath

Hello & Happy Holidays

I started the below VBA code to find a specific sheet based on a condition (if the last letter of the sheet meets that condition, in this case = A).
    Formula in cell O3 pulls the name of the sheet=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,256)
    Formula in cell U3 gets rid of the last letter (A) from the sheet name=LEFT(O3,LEN(O3)-1) ....

Column T (cells T5 to T200) contains the name of the rest of the sheets in the WB. What would be the most efficient way to find the cell in range T5:T200 that matches the value of cell U3 and replace the cell immediately below it with the value from cell O3?

Thank you in advance.

Sub pickSheet()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim pwd As String
    pwd = "password"
    For Each ws In Worksheets
        ws.Unprotect Password:=pwd
    Next ws
    For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
        If Right(ws.Name, 1) = "A" Then
            ws.Activate
             End If
              Range("U3").Formula = "=LEFT(O3,LEN(O3)-1)"
              Range("O3").Select

Next ws

For Each ws In Worksheets
        ws.Protect Password:=pwd
    Next ws
    End Sub

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Presuming you have the T5:T200 range in all the sheets ending in 'A' then this for the middle of your code might do it:
    For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
      If Right(ws.Name, 1) = "A" Then
        'ws.Activate 'not needed
        ws.Range("U3").Formula = "=LEFT(O3,LEN(O3)-1)" 'you may not need this either?
        'Range("O3").Select 'not needed
        Set myRng = Nothing
        Set myRng = ws.Range("T5:T200").Find(Left(ws.Name, Len(ws.Name) - 1), LookIn:=xlFormulas, lookat:=xlWhole, searchformat:=False)
        If Not myRng Is Nothing Then myRng.Offset(1) = ws.Name
      End If
    Next ws
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Hi p45cal.
    I've declared myRng as Range & with:
    ws.Range("U3").Formula = "=LEFT(O3,LEN(O3)-1)"

all sheets ending in "A" will have cell U3 displaying the above formula.
    What I need to find the cell in range T5:T200 matching the value of cell U3 and replace that particular cell's value with cell O3's value.

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBJ View Post
    What I need to find the cell in range T5:T200 matching the value of cell U3 and replace that particular cell's value with cell O3's value.
    I've done that, or very nearly, because originally you asked to:
    replace the cell immediately below it
    What you still haven't told me is whether the range T5:T200 is on all the sheets or not:
    Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    Presuming you have the T5:T200 range in all the sheets ending in 'A'
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Hi p45cal.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... It appears that I was a bit tired when I originally wrote the post.
    What I need, is to find the cell in range T5:T200 matching the value of cell U3 and replace that particular cell's value with cell O3's value. All sheets in the WB have the range T5:T200.

Again, apologies.
    Thank you

Tweak the code I gave in msg#2 by changing
    .Offset(1)
    to:
    .Value
    p45cal

Hello p45cal,
    Brilliant!
    & I realized where I was going wrong.
    As I left the formula in:
    ws.Range("U3").Formula = "=LEFT(O3,LEN(O3)-1)" 'you may not need this either?
    I was able to see that part of the code working & cell U3 populating but nothing was happening to the cell in range T5:T200 that has the corresponding value. Of course, I forgot to mention that the cells in range T5:T200 contain formulas & not values. I've changed the LookIn:=xlFormulas to look LookIn:=xlValues & the code worked immediately.
    Apologies for the extra trouble & thank you for all your kind help.
    Cheers

I've changed the LookIn:=xlFormulas to look LookIn:=xlValues
    Be aware with that setting, that if any rows in 5 to 200 are hidden, say by an autofilter, the code won't search amongst the hidden rows, and so may not find the value it's looking for..
    p45cal

Hello.

Noted & thank you again for your help.

Wishing you a Happy New Year.