Consulting

Thread: Conflicted Copy

Conflicted Copy

I'm retired and am recreating a database system used at one of the local clubs. Strictly voluntary and no one is getting paid. However, the database is periodically used by several locations at a time.

I am taking over an old access database and notice there are a LOT of "Conflicted Copy...." files in the folder. The database has 7 users spread over 6 locations. Since I believe that this is caused when multiple try to change data in a table at the same time, I have begun making all the forms independent by using VBA to paint the data into the form and then close the recordset. Therefore I am not holding tables open while someone access it.

First of all....I'm still getting a few Conflicted files. Do I need more research on tables being kept locked? Although a LOT fewer at this time.

Okay....
    We are using Dropbox on all of the computers. I have split the original database into two .accdb files. One for the Tables only and the other for all the forms and VBA code. The master program file links to the tables and seems to work very well.

All the users open the "Master.accdb" file which means there are multiple users in the file at the same time.
    • Does this matter?
    • Should I create a separate "Master.accdb" file for each location and name them "location1.accdb" and "location2.accdb" etc?

Any comments and help would be appreciated.
    ttfn

Kicker

VBAX Tutor
    Normally, you split the database and put the BE tables on a server , then everyone else gets a Frontend.
    I NEVER see any conflicts this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Dropbox may be the problem.
    Normally, you split the database and put the BE tables on a server , then everyone else gets a Frontend.
    I NEVER see any conflicts this way.
    I agree with you 100% because that is what I do. However, the "expert" that put the system together years ago didn't. I'm in the process of making some major changes and keep running into different situations where he locks a table and several of the users keep running into roadblocks.

I like to use dynamic recordsets and paint forms...then...update the records with another recordset. This is the first time I have ever run into "conflicted copies" and just wanted to understand what it is any why they are generated.

Thanks for your reply
    ttfn

Kicker