Consulting

Thread: xlsm file opens and immediately closes

xlsm file opens and immediately closes

Hello there,

I have an .xlsm file converted into .exe.

Suddenly, when I open the file, excel application opens, then .xlsm file opens and immediately closes.

I have the same issue with many similar .exe files and also hav tries to open them form several environments (win7, win8, win10, office 2010-2013-2016, 32bit, 64bit)

Ive tried it in excel safe mode but again doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much

How did U convert it to a .exe file? If your having similar issues with other files, I'm guessing its your installation. HTH. Dave

No unfortunatelly I didnt converted the files...
    i found them like this.
    All files where working and one day stopped working in different environments.
    I need the code of the xlsm files but its also too difficult to do reverse endineering.

(Sorry for my english)

Really thanks for your answer

You say, "Suddenly, when I open the file, excel application opens, then .xlsm file opens and immediately closes"

This leads me to believe that maybe there is a 'Application.Close' command at the end of the macro (closing the file once the subroutine has completed)...

So try this.
    Disable macros in your settings... Then open the file.
    In theory, the macros won't run and hopefully the excel file will just stay there 'doing nothing'.

If that works, then in theory, you'll be able to open up the VBA Editor (ALT + F11), and you'll be able to view the code.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    I think the free-use trial period has expired.

I really appriciate your answer but I already have tried disabling the macros in Excel.

The same thing happens.

Also the weird thing is that although the file is saved locally, if I try to open it with no connection to the internet I get a message from Excel: "Please connect to the internet and reopen the file" and file doesnt even open.

Really weird...

Sounds like it.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Newbie
    Lightbulb Workaround for Excel files abruptly crashing after opening.

Quote Originally Posted by aniakpit57 View Post
    Hello there,

I have an .xlsm file converted into .exe.

Suddenly, when I open the file, excel application opens, then .xlsm file opens and immediately closes.

I have the same issue with many similar .exe files and also hav tries to open them form several environments (win7, win8, win10, office 2010-2013-2016, 32bit, 64bit)

Ive tried it in excel safe mode but again doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much

Hi,

I had the same problem. I tried the following and resolved the issue.

Make MS Excel operate in safe mode. Remember : This is not windows safe mode.

To get excel open in safe mode, do the following :

• Hold the windows key + Letter ‘R’ on the keyboard to launch the Run command > Copy and paste the following command line in the open box and click Ok.
    • Type : "excel /safe" without quotation marks.
    • click OK.