Consulting

Thread: MoveAfterReturnDirection

VBAX Newbie
    MoveAfterReturnDirection

Dear all,

I can't find a solution for following problem.
    I use Office 2010.
    In Excel I have in one sheet 2 ranges (D5:E30 and H5:I30) I can switch between those two by using the spacebar and it jumps to the cell from which it came from previous jump.
    The thing I can not find is when I in one of the ranges and I press enter it should jump from the left column to the right one and by the next enter it should jump to the next row of the first column: D5 to E5 to D6 to E6 and so on till I use the spacebar and go to the other range where it should do the same.
    I found something here but the problem is that I can't use 2 ranges and I can't use the other cells in the sheet.

Sub SetScroll()
    If Selection.Cells.Count = 1 Then
    ActiveSheet.ScrollArea = Cells.Address
    Application.MoveAfterReturnDirection = xlDown
    Else
    ActiveSheet.ScrollArea = Selection.Address
    Application.MoveAfterReturnDirection = xlToRight
    End If
    End Sub
    Hope someone can help me with this.
    Thanks
    Rudi

I can switch between those two by using the spacebar and it jumps to the cell from which it came from previous jump.I can switch between those two by using the spacebar and it jumps to the cell from which it came from previous jump.
    That must make it very interesting to type two or more words in the same cell.

I use the Tab Key to move to the right and the Enter Key to move down and left. I use the SpaceBar to insert spaces between words.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    That must make it very interesting to type two or more words in the same cell.

I use the Tab Key to move to the right and the Enter Key to move down and left. I use the SpaceBar to insert spaces between words.
    Hi Sam,

Sorry I was maybe not very clear in my explanation but English is not my language.
    I don't have to type 2 words in the same cell, I only type a number and move to the next cell.
    I'm trying to make a scoreboard for our biljart team and we have 2 tables so the first 2 columns of 25 rows are for the first table and the other 2 columns for the second one.
    on both tables could be a match in progress, so if on table 1 a player makes eg. 5 points we type 5 and press enter which moves the active cell to the right when the second player makes eg. 3 points we put 3 and press enter which should bring the active cell 1 down and 1 left so it is ready for player 1 again. When on table 2 a player makes some points I press the spacebar to move to the 2 columns of table 2 and start entering there.
    I hope this makes it a little more clear if not I will send you a screenshot.

Regards,
    Rudi

Use the Worksheet Change Event sub and a Macro with a Hot Key such as Ctrl+z or Ctrl+b. Don't use a,s,x,c, or v

These two Subs go in the worksheet Code Page. They handle the Enter Key process
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("D5:E30", "H5:I30")) Is Nothing Then MoveSelection Target
    End Sub

Private Sub MoveSelection(Target As Range)
    Select Case Target.Column
    Case 4: Target.Offset(, 1).Select
    Case 5: Target.Offset(1, -1).Select
    Case 8: Target.Offset(, 1).Select
    Case 9: Target.Offset(1, -1).Select
    End Select
    End Sub
    Then you must record a Macro, Named "ChangeTeams". Store the Macro in This Workbook. Assign a Keyboard Shortcut. Select a cell before recording. when recording, simply type a letter in the cell and press Enter. This is an easy way to start a sub that has a Keyboard Shortcut.

The Macro recorder will save the Macro code in a standard Module, named "Module1."

Replace the code in the "ChangeTeams" Macro with this
    Select Case ActiveCell.Column
    Case 4, 5: SelectTeam1
    Case 8, 9: SelectTeam2
    End Select
    Then add these two Subs below the Macro
    Private Sub SelectTeam1()
    Dim Cel As Range
    Set Cel = Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp)
    If Cel.Offset(, 1) = "" Then
    Cel.Offset(, 1).Select
    Else
    Cel.Offset(1).Select
    End If
    End Sub

Private Sub SelectTeam2()
    Dim Cel As Range
    Set Cel = Cells(Rows.Count, "H").End(xlUp)
    If Cel.Offset(, 1) = "" Then
    Cel.Offset(, 1).Select
    Else
    Cel.Offset(1).Select
    End If
    End Sub
    This allows the Hotkey to provide the desired SpaceBar process.

VBAX Newbie

The part for the Enter key works fabulous, thank you very much for that, the "ChangeTeam" however doesn't work but I had this already working in a different way and still in combination with your Enter key code it works fine.
    Now I have 1 more request if you allow me, is it possible to make the BG/fill colour of the active cell red but only in the 2 ranges ("D5:E30", "H5:I30"). I tried something but that was a complete failure, it coloured the cell after the enter key was pressed and left it red so every cell with data was coloured red, the idea is that I can see very fast where the active cell is ("D5:E30" or "H5:I30").

Thanks in advance,
    Rudi

The Selection Change Event. First uncolor all the cells in the desired region, then color the selected cell

VBAX Newbie
    It wasn't that simple but could get it done, thanks for everything.