Consulting

Thread: Save Document with Legacy Form field using bookmarks

Save Document with Legacy Form field using bookmarks

Hi I am very new at VBA and this is my first post on any VBA forum. So, please forgive any obvious errors.

I am working in a word document that is populated with Legacy form fields. It is intended to be used as the basis as a participant summary by at least 26 different staff members who will save a local copy to their folder and then save to a network location with the save date appended to the file name and macros stripped. There is also a button at the bottom of the form that will trigger the VBA and

I've been able to run a Save As function into the network location with a Now() date appended to the file name, but I need help with an If Then Else statement to determine if the user has already saved their local file with the correct naming convention (Lastname.Firstname.ID.PSDU) instead of saving over the original file name of "Participant Summary". The code below is after the addition of the If statement so it may not look like it was working the way I said. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

1. Sub SavePSDU()
    2. ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("Part_LN").Select
    3. ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("Part_FN").Select
    4. ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("Part_ID").Select
    5. NewPSDU = Part_LN & "." & Part_FN & "." & Part_ID & ".PSDU"
    6. If Mid(ActiveDocument.Name, 1, Len(ActiveDocument.Name) - 5) = "Participant Summary" Then
    7. ActiveDocument.SaveAs2 NewPSDU, FileFormat:=wdFormatDocumentMacroEnabled
    8. Else ActiveDocument.Save
    9. End If
    10. CurrentNm = Mid(ActiveDocument.Name, 1, Len(ActiveDocument.Name) - 5)
    11. SaveDate = Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd")
    12. SaveNm = "\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files" & CurrentNm & "-" & SaveDate & ".docx"
    13. Dim wdApp As Word.Application
    14. Set wdApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
    15. wdApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs SaveNm, FileFormat:=wdFormatDocumentDefault
    16. wdApp.ActiveDocument.Close
    17. End Sub
    18. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    19. SavePSDU
    20. End Sub

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    If your users were working with a "Participant Summary" template instead of a document, there's be little risk of them saving over your template, since the first time they saved they would be presented with a SaveAs dialogue to save the document in the docx format, which automatically strips any macros from it.

Your attempt to save the document in the wdFormatDocumentMacroEnabled format is likely to fail, since there is no such format; I suspect you meant wdFormatXMLDocumentMacroEnabled, but even that would be misleading, since it implies the document contains macros and, in any event, you're giving the document a docx extension.

With the use of a template, your SavePSDU macro could probably be reduced to:
    Sub SavePSDU()
    Dim StrPSDU As String
    With ActiveDocument
      If .Saved = True Then Exit Sub
      StrPSDU = .Bookmarks("Part_LN").Range.Text & "."
      StrPSDU = StrPSDU & .Bookmarks("Part_FN").Range.Text & "."
      StrPSDU = StrPSDU & Bookmarks("Part_ID").Range.Text & ".PSDU"
      .SaveAs2 "\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files\" & StrPSDU & "-" & Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".docx", _
        FileFormat:=wdFormatXMLDocument, AddToRecentFiles:=False
    End With
    End Sub
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

There are some strange anomalies in your code, which I assume you are running from the document itself? That being the case there is no need to setup a new version of Word to save the file, and if not then the rest of the code will need to be addressed.

Given the propensity for users to enter the wrong things in fields, you need to ensure that the fields are completed and that what is entered does not include illegal filename characters. The following will address those concerns with a code sample that you can find on my web site.

The code will not overwrite the original DOCM format file and saving as DOCX will strip the macros.

Sub SavePSDU()
    Dim strName As String, strDate As String
    Dim strLN As String, strFN As String, strID As String
    Dim oFF As FormField
        For Each oFF In ActiveDocument.FormFields
            If oFF.Name = "Part_LN" Then
                strLN = oFF.Result
                If strLN = "" Then
                    MsgBox "Complete the field " & oFF.Name
                    oFF.Select
                    GoTo lbl_Exit
                End If
            End If
            If oFF.Name = "Part_FN" Then
                strFN = oFF.Result
                If strFN = "" Then
                    oFF.Select
                    GoTo lbl_Exit
                End If
            End If
            If oFF.Name = "Part_ID" Then
                strID = oFF.Result
                If strID = "" Then
                    oFF.Select
                    GoTo lbl_Exit
                End If
            End If
        Next oFF
        strName = strLN & "." & strFN & "." & strID & ".PSDU"
        strDate = Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd")
        strName = strName & "-" & strDate & ".docx"
        strName = CleanFileName(strName, ".docx")
        strName = "\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files\" & strName
        'Debug.Print strName
        ActiveDocument.SaveAs2 FileName:=strName, FileFormat:=wdFormatXMLDocument
    lbl_Exit:
        Exit Sub
    End Sub

Private Function CleanFileName(strFilename As String, strExtension As String) As String
    'Graham Mayor
    'A function to ensure there are no illegal filename
    'characters in a string to be used as a filename
    'strFilename is the filename to check
    'strExtension is the extension of the file
    Dim arrInvalid() As String
    Dim vfName As Variant
    Dim lng_Name As Long
    Dim lng_Ext As Long
    Dim lngIndex As Long
        'Ensure there is no period included with the extension
        strExtension = Replace(strExtension, Chr(46), "")
        'Record the length of the extension
        lng_Ext = Len(strExtension)

'Remove the path from the filename if present
        If InStr(1, strFilename, Chr(92)) > 0 Then
            vfName = Split(strFilename, Chr(92))
            CleanFileName = vfName(UBound(vfName))
        Else
            CleanFileName = strFilename
        End If

'Remove the extension from the filename if present
        If Right(CleanFileName, lng_Ext + 1) = "." & strExtension Then
            CleanFileName = Left(CleanFileName, InStrRev(CleanFileName, Chr(46)) - 1)
        End If

'Define illegal characters (by ASCII CharNum)
        arrInvalid = Split("9|10|11|13|34|42|47|58|60|62|63|92|124", "|")
        'Add the extension to the filename
        CleanFileName = CleanFileName & Chr(46) & strExtension
        'Remove any illegal filename characters
        For lngIndex = 0 To UBound(arrInvalid)
            CleanFileName = Replace(CleanFileName, Chr(arrInvalid(lngIndex)), Chr(95))
        Next lngIndex
    lbl_Exit:
        Exit Function
    End Function
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    If your users were working with a "Participant Summary" template instead of a document, there's be little risk of them saving over your template, since the first time they saved they would be presented with a SaveAs dialogue to save the document in the docx format, which automatically strips any macros from it.
    I was originally trying to use a document template for that very reason, but being so new to VBA I felt like I was having issues with the Macro being ported over to the new document. Plus wanted the new document to have the command button still on it so that any updates can be saved to it and when the user clicks the button it creates a Docx version in the network share while at the same time saving the updated document to the user's local folder.
    The result of your code added the words "FORMTEXT" and a space before each of the FormField values. MacroResult.jpg (I used your username and time of your post as test values). I like the simplicity of your code and I think I was able to glean some understanding of how VBA works because it looks like you're building the StrPSDU incrementally instead of as one initial declaration. However, I don't see how to remove the FORMTEXT from the file name.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmayor View Post
    which I assume you are running from the document itself? That being the case there is no need to setup a new version of Word to save the file, and if not then the rest of the code will need to be addressed.
    I am running it from the document through a Command button at the bottom of the form. The following code fulfilled the basic need with the following actions:
    1. Save the local file with the current name, Macros enabled. (users will need to update client information in the PSDU periodically)
    2. Save a copy of the file with the current name and today's date appended to the name in the network share.
    3. Close the application

I moved on from that because I realized that users may simply click the button for each of their updates the overwriting the PSDU's with files that are named "PSDU Template-2018-02-27" if they don't save their file with the correct naming convention before clicking the button. Since the Naming convention for the file name is made up of data entered into the Form Fields I figured a click of the button can check to see if the file name is "PSDU Template" and if true then do a save as using the form fields. Else it would simply save the local version of the file and then save a copy to the network location while stripping out the macros.

Given the propensity for users to enter the wrong things in fields, you need to ensure that the fields are completed and that what is entered does not include illegal filename characters. The following will address those concerns with a code sample that you can find on my web site.
    WOW! I have so much to learn. I already checked out your site I have bookmarked it for further reading.

There are some strange anomalies in your code,
    I went back in my version history and realized that I posted the code that I had thoroughly messed up by adding funky stuff. Here is the code I used that actually did the basic functions without any form fields or If statements or anything else that I'm merely guessing at.

Sub SavePSDU()    ActiveDocument.Save
        CurrentNm = Mid(ActiveDocument.Name, 1, Len(ActiveDocument.Name) - 5)
        SaveDate = Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd")
        SaveNm = "\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files\" & CurrentNm & "-" & SaveDate & ".docx"
        Dim wdApp As Word.Application
        Set wdApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
        wdApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs SaveNm, FileFormat:=wdFormatDocumentDefault
        wdApp.ActiveDocument.Close

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    SavePSDU
    End Sub

Graham,

Since your code doesn't save a local DOCM formatted copy what do I need to change about this code to make it work?

Dim currrentName As String
    Dim LocalFilename As String
    LocalFilename = strLN & "." & strFN & "." & strID & ".PSDU"
    currrentName = Mid(ActiveDocument.Name,1, Len(ActiveDocument.Name) - 5)
        If currrentName = "PSDU Template" Then ActiveDocument.SaveAs2 FileName:=LocalFilename, FileFormat:=wdFormatXMLDocumentMacroEnabled
        Else ActiveDocument.Save
        End If
    Last edited by Thyme2Cook; 02-27-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme2Cook View Post
    The result of your code added the words "FORMTEXT" and a space before each of the FormField values.
    Try:
    Sub SavePSDU()
    Dim StrPSDU As String
    With ActiveDocument
      StrPSDU = .FormFields("Part_LN").Result & "."
      StrPSDU = StrPSDU & .FormFields("Part_FN").Result & "."
      StrPSDU = StrPSDU & .FormFields("Part_ID").Result & ".PSDU"
      .SaveAs2 "\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files\" & StrPSDU & "-" & Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".docx", _
    End With
    End Sub
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Paul, your code worked to make the right file name. But I still need to save the file twice, once as a local file (Lastname.Firstname.ID.PSDU) and once to the network drive with today's date appended. So after educating myself and researching options I added a private function that prompts the user for a folder location to save their local file. Now I get the following error at "sItem = .SelectedItems(1)"
    VB Error.png

I'm certain that I used the If statement wrong at line 4. I can't figure out how to tell it to save if ".Saved = True". Do I even need to really worry about that?

Here's what I have.

Sub SavePSDU()
    Dim StrPSDU As String
    With ActiveDocument
        If .Saved = False Then GetFolder
            .SaveAs2 sItem & StrPSDU & "-" & Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".docx", _
            FileFormat:=wdFormatXMLDocument, AddToRecentFiles:=True
        .SaveAs2 "\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files\" & CurrentNm & "-" & Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".docx", _
      .Close
    End With
    End Sub

Private Function GetFolder()
    Dim fldr As FileDialog
    Dim sItem As String
    Set fldr = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
    With fldr
        .Title = "Select a Folder for PSDU"
        .AllowMultiSelect = False
        .InitialFileName = strPath
        'If .Show <> -1 Then GoTo NextCode
        sItem = .SelectedItems(1)
    End With
    NextCode:
    GetFolder = sItem
    Set fldr = Nothing
    End Function

SavePSDU
    End Sub
    Thanks for all your help,
    Chris

In that case, all you need is two SaveAs2 lines - one for each name & location. From what you've described, there is no need for a dialogue.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

In that case, all you need is two SaveAs2 lines - one for each name & location. From what you've described, there is no need for a dialogue.
    I have two SaveAs2 lines. Do I need to remove the "If .Saved = False" line?

Also, without the dialog, how do I get the folder location to know what path to put in the SaveAs2 line?

If I go that route then I could just use this simpler code and not use any of the bookmarked form fields.

Sub SavePSDU()
    Dim StrPSDU As String
    With ActiveDocument
        .Save
        .SaveAs2 "\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files\" & CurrentNm & "-" & Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".docx", _
      .Close
    End With
    End Sub

SavePSDU
    End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme2Cook View Post
    I still need to save the file twice, once as a local file (Lastname.Firstname.ID.PSDU) and once to the network drive with today's date appended.

So far, the code you've posted has only indicated the file being saved twice to the network drive with today's date appended. How is the local path to be determined? Is it, for example, the path to the originally-opened document? And what filename is the date to be appended to - the original document's filename or the string represented by StrPSDU?
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

How is the local path to be determined? Is it, for example, the path to the originally-opened document?
    At this point I don't know where the user will be saving their local copies. The purpose of the Private Function GetFolder() was to prompt the user for the location that they wanted to use for their local copy. This is only needed if they are creating a new document from the template I have created. When a user is creating a new PSDU, they will double click the "PSDU Template.DOTM" and complete the form. When they the button on the form, the VBA script should prompt for the folder location they want to save it to, and after they have done that, the script will do a save as to the local folder that the user selected. The name of that local file will be "LastName.FirstName.PartID.PSDU.docx". Then the script will do another save as to the network share folder with the same name, but the date added to it "LastName.FirstName.PartID.PSDU.20180228".

The expectation is that, after the PSDU has been created, the user will need to access the local copy to update or change the information on the PSDU and then, through the use of this code, save the local copy to its current location and then save a copy to the network folder, using the same file name as the local copy, but with the save date appended to the end of the file name.

The end result is that there is only one version of the PSDU as a local copy, but there can be multiple versions of the PSDU, with save dates appended, on the network share.

And what filename is the date to be appended to - the original document's filename or the string represented by StrPSDU?
    If the user doesn't save the new document before clicking the button then the date will be appended to the string represented by StrPSDU. If the user does save before clicking the button, then the date will be appended to the original filename, what I called CurrentNm in the code.

So far, the code you've posted has only indicated the file being saved twice to the network drive with today's date appended.
    Additionally, since I'm using a Document template, the .Save function works to prompt the user for their own file name and location. I am trying to automate that.

Sub SavePSDU()
    Dim StrPSDU As String, strFolder As String
    With ActiveDocument
      StrFlNm = Split(.FullName, ".doc")(0)
      .SaveAs2 FileName:="\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files\" & StrPSDU & "-" & Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".docx", _
      strFolder = GetFolder
      If strFolder <> "" Then
        .SaveAs2 FileName:=strFolder & "\" & StrPSDU & ".docx", FileFormat:=wdFormatXMLDocument, AddToRecentFiles:=False
      End If
    End With
    End Sub

Function GetFolder() As String
    Dim oFolder As Object
    GetFolder = ""
    Set oFolder = CreateObject("Shell.Application").BrowseForFolder(0, "Choose a folder", 0)
    If (Not oFolder Is Nothing) Then GetFolder = oFolder.Items.Item.Path
    Set oFolder = Nothing
    End Function
    If the user doesn't select a local folder, the network copy is saved anyway.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Cool

Got it to work perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Sub SavePSDU()
    Dim StrPSDU As String, strFolder As String
    Dim i As Integer
    With ActiveDocument
      If .Saved = True Then
        .SaveAs2 "\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files\" & CurrentNm & "." & Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".docx", _
        .Close
        Exit Sub
      Else
        StrFlNm = Split(.FullName, ".doc")(0)
        strFolder = GetFolder
        If strFolder <> "" Then
          .SaveAs2 FileName:=strFolder & "\" & StrPSDU & ".docx", FileFormat:=wdFormatXMLDocument, AddToRecentFiles:=True
        .SaveAs2 FileName:="\\NetworkShare\Data Log Files\" & StrPSDU & "." & Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".docx", _
        End If
      End If
      .Close
    End With
    End Sub

Function GetFolder() As String
    Dim sFolder As String
        ' Open the select folder prompt
        With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
            .Title = "Select a Folder for Local Copy"
            .ButtonName = "Select"
            If .Show = -1 Then ' if OK is pressed
                sFolder = .SelectedItems(1)
            End If
        End With
    GetFolder = sFolder
    End Function

SavePSDU
    End Sub
    Cheers,