Consulting

Thread: Can an actively running slideshow be modified on the fly?

Question Can an actively running slideshow be modified on the fly?

I am building an Excel-to-Powerpoint creation program for a dynamic "events marquee" and what I want to do is as follows:

1. Starting with an existing workbook I want to either modify, add, or delete a row of data. Then I will run a macro that will dynamically create a slideshow, one slide per row of data. The slideshow will be saved on a network shared directory with a filename something like SLIDES1.PPT_ [where _ is either X or M as needed]. Coding this part in VBA is not a major problem for me.

2. Separately I want to have the same file (SLIDES1.PPT_) running on a different PC in fullscreen mode. This will be a dedicated PC connected to a wall mounted display.

3. Here is where it gets tricky: I want either Excel or Powerpoint to have a macro running that somehow detects when the slideshow has changed and trigger a restart or update of the slideshow so the modified slides can be displayed.

Can this be done? Can either Excel or PowerPoint use VBA to stop & start running slideshows in fullscreen mode? Can Powerpoint "refresh" while running? Any ideas/suggestions are most welcome.

PS: To avoid file-in-use problems I could use a "toggle" strategy where two filenames (ex: SLIDES1 & SLIDES2) are used in alternation (SLIDES1 opens SLIDES2 and vice-versa).
    Last edited by Ambrose2018; 02-27-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: grammar fix