Consulting

Thread: Checkbox Loop

Exclamation Checkbox Loop

Hi All!

So this is been an interesting little bit of trial and error...more error than anything.

I have a userform, as seen below, which has 50 checkboxes. During the initialize event, these checkboxes are made visible, or not, based on whether a cell in a sheet is populated, and then their captions are changed to show that cell's value. The returned userform should have "x" number of checkboxes, with the appropriate captions. The problem is the loop seems to skip any Checkbox that is an even value.

Naming references: I have left checkboxes all as their "default" name for the sake of the loop coding, so they are CheckBox1, CheckBox2, etc...

I have two images attached, one is the coding version of the userform, and the other is the end-user (currently) userform.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()    
        MEFLabel.Caption = ActiveCell.Value

Call Checkbox_Start

End Sub

Private Function Checkbox_Start()

Dim i As Long
        Dim y As Long
        Dim ctl As Control

i = 1

y = 2

For i = 1 To 50
            Set ctl = Me.HazardsFrm.Controls("CheckBox" & i)
            If wsHazRanking.Range("B" & y).Value <> "" Then
                ctl.Visible = True
                ctl.Caption = wsHazRanking.Range("B" & y).Value
            Else
                ctl.Visible = False
            End If
            i = i + 1
            y = y + 1
        Next

End Function
    Hazard-MEF Coding Screenshot.JPG

Hazard-MEF Screenshot.JPG

The second image should either have all the even CheckBoxes not visible, or have captions different. There are currently ten "hazards" to populate the checkboxes, so ideally there would be five per side, and the rest would be invisible.

Any help is greatly appreciated. And as always, I CANNOT upload the spreadsheets, the images are as much as I can do.

Thank you!
    Christopher Pounds
    Emergency Planner/Manager

Rules:
    1. Please do not ask for me to upload workbooks, if I can I will, otherwise the assumption is that my projects that I am asking for assistance on are work-related, and therefore are protected and private documents. I will always do my best to provide screen-grabs and the necessary code, with which I have questions. With my job I work on sensitive projects, and cannot always put the entire document out for general/internet consumption, so please do not for me to post the workbooks. Like I said, if I can, I will, but the majority of the time, I will not be able to.

VBAX Sage
            If wsHazRanking.Range("B" & I+1).Value <> "" Then ' change
                ctl.Visible = True
                ctl.Caption = wsHazRanking.Range("B" & I+1).Value ' change
            Else
                ctl.Visible = False
            End If
            i = i + 1  ' <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< delete this line
            y = y + 1  ' <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< delete this line
        Next
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

I knew it had to be something simple that I was just overlooking.

Thanks for the help! Marking it as solved!

HAHAHAHA
    Christopher Pounds

Rules:
    1. Please do not ask for me to upload workbooks, if I can I will, otherwise the assumption is that my projects that I am asking for assistance on are work-related, and therefore are protected and private documents. I will always do my best to provide screen-grabs and the necessary code, with which I have questions. With my job I work on sensitive projects, and cannot always put the entire document out for general/internet consumption, so please do not for me to post the workbooks. Like I said, if I can, I will, but the majority of the time, I will not be able to.

So the primary problem is solved, but now I have a secondary issue related to this. I need to now take the captions of the selected checkboxes, look them up, and return a different value.

The problem seems to come from the "lookup = ...." The funny thing is, I had this working 30 minutes ago, but then excel crashed, and I wasn't able to recover any of my work. Of course, easy fix is save frequent and often, but I don't always remember to.

Private Function AddValues()    
        Dim i As Integer
        Dim lookfor As Variant
        Dim rng As Range
        Dim y As Variant

i = 1

Set rng = wsLists.Range("O2:Q51")

For i = 1 To 50
            Set lookfor = Me.HazardsFrm.Controls("CheckBox" & i).Caption
            Set y = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(lookfor, rng, 3, False)
            If Me.HazardsFrm.Controls("CheckBox" & i).Value = True Then
                Call FindEmptyCell
                ActiveCell.Value = y
            End If
        Next

End Function
    So update to above, I have slightly changed the code, but also the lookup location (streamlining purposes). See below:

Dim i As Integer
        Dim ctl As Control
        Dim str As Variant
        Dim y As Variant
        Dim lookfor As Variant
        Dim rng As Range

Set rng = wsLists.Columns("O:T")

i = 1

For i = 1 To 50
            Set lookfor = ctl.Caption
            Set y = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(lookfor, wsLists.Columns(2), False)
            Set str = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(lookfor, wsLists.Columns(3), False)

If ctl.Value = True Then
                Call FindEmptyCell
                ActiveCell.Value = str
            End If
        Next

End Function
    Last edited by cpounds217; 03-23-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: UPDATED CODE
    Christopher Pounds

Rules:

VBAX Sage
    My mind reading helmet with the built in telescopic sights needs new batteries, so this is just a very big guess from looking at the code

Option Explicit

Dim i As Integer
        Dim ctl As Control
        Dim str As Variant
        Dim y As Variant
        Dim lookfor As Variant
        Dim rng As Range

Set rng = wsLists.Columns("O:T")

'    i = 1      NOT NEEDED

For i = 1 To 50
            Set lookfor = ctl.Caption

'   YOU SET rng ABOVE - O:T

'   THESE ARE WRONG SYNTAX FOR VLOOKUP
    '   VLOOKUP DOES NOT RETURN OBJECT, SO NO 'SET'
            Set y = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(lookfor, wsLists.Columns(2), False)
            Set str = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(lookfor, wsLists.Columns(3), False)

'   BY ANY POSSIBLE CHANCE DID YOU MEAN <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            y = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(lookfor, rng, 2, False)    ' col P
            str = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(lookfor, rng, 3, False)  ' col Q

If ctl.Value = True Then
                Call FindEmptyCell
                ActiveCell.Value = str
            End If
        Next

End Function
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

The problem tends to be in the ctl.caption, as it returns "Empty", which it shouldn't. I utilized, as you can see, very similar code as above, but for whatever reason the code doesn't like Me.HazardsFrm.Controls("CheckBox" & i).Caption, and I have tried this without setting ctl, and with dropping the hazardsfrm, and dropping me. It just doesn't like it and I can't seem to figure out why.
    Christopher Pounds

Rules:

VBAX Sage

Dim lookfor As String

lookfor = ctl.Caption

Paul

2. Upload an example

Again, the simplest of errors was the fix. Thanks!
    Christopher Pounds

Rules:

I can't get this to work