Consulting

Thread: Shapes Array (Excel 2013)

Shapes Array (Excel 2013)

Hello,
    I am in the process of trying to create multiple shapes (rounded rectangles) and place them on the worksheet. I have been able to create and place multiple shapes, but I am having trouble with creating the names and text for the shapes. The code I have below was copied from code that I was using to create multiple form control command buttons, which worked fine for those. The reason I am tying to use shapes is because I was going to use the shape as a "button" to hyperlink to external documents. The shape seems easier to insert a hyperlink directly into rather than creating a Sub that all the buttons need to point to( I haven't got to adding the hyperlink code yet, but I should be able to figure that out). The code errors on the .Name = arrNames line with "Type mismatch".

Thank you for the help.

Sub AddButtons()
    Dim arrNames            As Variant
    Dim arrCaptions         As Variant
    Dim LeftPos             As Long
    Dim Gap                 As Long
    Dim i                   As Long
    Dim newBtn              As Shape

shtnm = ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Name
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets(shtnm)
            arrNames = Array("EngBtn1", "EngBtn2")

arrCaptions = Array(ENGForm.DocName1.Value, ENGForm.DocName2.Value)

LeftPos = 165

Gap = 9.75

For i = 1 To 2
                Set newBtn = .Shapes.AddShape(msoShapeRoundedRectangle, Left:=LeftPos, Top:=225.5, Width:=105.75, Height:=52.5)

With newBtn
                    .Name = arrNames
                    .TextFrame.Characters.Text = arrCaptions
                    .Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(136, 182, 224)
                End With

LeftPos = LeftPos + newBtn.Width + Gap

Next i

ActiveWindow.Zoom = 98
        End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    You're trying to assign a whole array of names to one shape.
    Try something along the lines of:
      For i = LBound(arrNames) To UBound(arrNames) 'this means it doesn't matter whether the array is zero- or one-based
        Set newBtn = .Shapes.AddShape(msoShapeRoundedRectangle, Left:=LeftPos, Top:=225.5, Width:=105.75, Height:=52.5)
        With newBtn
          .Name = arrNames(i)
          .TextFrame.Characters.Text = arrCaptions(i)
          .Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(136, 182, 224)
        End With
        LeftPos = LeftPos + newBtn.Width + Gap
      Next i
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Perfect, it finally works! Thank you very much for the help, I'm very glad this works now. I'm curious as to why the "For i = 1 To 2" worked for form controls but not Shapes.

Thanks again!

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis1118 View Post
    I'm curious as to why the "For i = 1 To 2" worked for form controls but not Shapes.
    It's not whether form controls or shapes are involved; it's what you do with the value of i in the ensuing code.
    If you use i to refer to a member of an arrray, you have to be sure that that member exists. In the case of For i = 1 To 2 the following have to exist:
    arrNames(1)
    arrCaptions(1)
    arrNames(2)
    arrCaptions(2)

Whether they exist or not depends on how the arrays have been set up.
    They could have been set up like:
    2018-03-27_100834.jpg
    or:
    2018-03-27_101025.jpg
    The first will work, the second won't.
    If, instead of hard-coding 1 To 2, you use LBound(arrNames) to UBound(arrNames) you don't need to worry about whether the arrays are 1-based or zero-based. Additionally, should you set up arrNames with more names:
    arrNames = Array("EngBtn1", "EngBtn2", "EngBtn3", "EngBtn4", "EngBtn5")
    (and you do something similar with arrCaptions) you won't need to adjust the For i = … code.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Thank you very much p45cal! I appreciate the help with my problem and taking the time to better explain the array to me. I like the Lbound and Ubound function, it seems like a much more straight forward way to use the array. Thanks again!