Consulting

Thread: Change desktop icon of a .jnlp web start file

VBAX Newbie
    Change desktop icon of a .jnlp web start file

Hi

I have a Web shortcut icon on my desktop. Of course it shows a mug. I would like to change that to another .jpg or .ico.

Somewhere I found out that I could change the script :

<icon href="images/logo_tiny.jpg"/>
    <icon kind="splash" href="images/logo_splash.jpg"/>

but that's probably not as easy as it looks, and i'm not a programmer.

Or maybe there's another way ?

Thanks for help !

Right Click the Shortcut Icon and choose Properties, Then Web Document, then Change Icon.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    Right Click the Shortcut Icon and choose Properties, Then Web Document, then Change Icon.
    Thank you Sam.
    I use german language software so i'm not sure if i get the following translations right: The desktop icon that i want to change is not a link to a file (in which case your solution would work) but the file itself (not sure if i got that explanation right). And in this case there is no "Web Document" Tab in "Properties".

As far as I know,(which is only as far as Windows 2003,) the only way to change a File's Icon is to change the Icon for all files with that extension.

Alternatively, create a shortcut to the file and Change the shortcut's Icon.

A clumsy workaround would be to rename that file with a custom Extension, (".myjnlp".) Then change the Icon for all (one) files with that custom extension, then assign the correct (original) application to open and run all files (one) with that Extension.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    As far as I know,(which is only as far as Windows 2003,) the only way to change a File's Icon is to change the Icon for all files with that extension.

Alternatively, create a shortcut to the file and Change the shortcut's Icon.

A clumsy workaround would be to rename that file with a custom Extension, (".myjnlp".) Then change the Icon for all (one) files with that custom extension, then assign the correct (original) application to open and run all files (one) with that Extension.
    Hi !
    Definitely create a shortcut an change the shortcuts icon.
    Thanks vm.
    JC