Consulting

Thread: RegExp not accounting for Content Control tags

VBAX Newbie
    RegExp not accounting for Content Control tags

Hello, I need to solve a problem (search and select text range in VBA macro) with some constraints.
    1. I am using regex because of some requirements which could not be handled by word Find.
    2. The search range may contain Content control Tags.

The problem is that regex match does not account for Content Control tags characters, however when I use range object to select range based on index of the regex match, the selection is off by number of content control tags * 2. Each cc tag has 2 characters, start and end.

If the search range has not Content Controls, the code works fine, if I put one or more content controls into the search range the match range selection is off. I am working on code trying to move match range based on CC counts, however the challenge is that real examples could contain nested content controls and search word could appear within a content control.

Is there a way for regex to account for content controls or for range select to skip content control tag when selecting range?

here is a test code:
    Sub regexHelp()

Dim RegEx As New RegExp
    Dim Matches, match As match
    Dim searchRange, matchRange As Word.range

'search example: hello world!
    RegEx.pattern = "world"
    RegEx.IgnoreCase = False
    RegEx.Global = False

Set searchRange = selection.range
    Set Matches = RegEx.Execute(searchRange)
    Set match = Matches.Item(0)
    Debug.Print "search range: ", searchRange.start, searchRange.End

Debug.Print " match range: ", match.value, match.FirstIndex, match.Length
    Set matchRange = ActiveDocument.range(searchRange.start + match.FirstIndex, searchRange.start + match.FirstIndex + match.Length)
    matchRange.Select

End Sub

thank you

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    So why are you using RegEx instead of Word's own wildcards? The fundamental problem you're having is that RegEx treats everything as a string, which is not how your Word document is structured.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Newbie
    I am using regex because of some requirements which could not be handled by word Find, thi includes wild cards.

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by kazi View Post
    I am using regex because of some requirements which could not be handled by word Find, thi includes wild cards.
    Word's wildcard option in F&R is pretty powerful

What is a specific example that it couldn't do?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Newbie
    Some of the examples include Finding sentences that start with Numbers, or start with patterns like 'C ME 1.7.1' , 'C COL 1.3.1' where digits can have different values. The find with wild cards is limited, it's mentioned in the Microsoft documentation

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Both the examples you gave are easily handled via a wildcard Find, where:
    Find = C [A-Z]{2,3} [0-9].[0-9].[0-9]
    Methinks you're assuming wildcards in Word are more limited than they really are. And, unlike RegEx, Word's Find allows you to specify things like font attributes (e.g. bold, or a Style Name), etc. Moreover, when a match is made via Find in Word, the current range automatically moves to the found range, making it easy to work with what has been found.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Sage
    You can use Word's wildcard F&R to find paragraphs that start with that pattern

The [a-z] and {m,n} notation is basically the came as RE's, ^13 is the paragraph, but Word has some other specials that work with it's content

Option Explicit

Sub Macro1()
        Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
        Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
        With Selection.Find
            .Text = "[A-Z]{1,} [A-Z]{2,} [0-9]{1,}.[0-9]{1,}.[0-9]{1,}*^13"
            .Replacement.Text = ""
            .Forward = True
            .Wrap = wdFindContinue
            .Format = False
            .MatchWildcards = True
        End With
    End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Newbie
    Thanks guys. I was able to solve current problem with Word Find. Still it would be interesting to see if regex can be used with word smart tags.
    Thanks for you help, it definitely got me to the solution