Consulting

Thread: Same VBA code to move mails within multiple mailbox

Question Same VBA code to move mails within multiple mailbox

Hi dears!

I am into an Enterprise environment, where I have my main mailbox and moreover I have full access permissions on another mailbox.
    So I have configured Outlook just with my mailbox but it let me automatically see two mailbox on the left: MY-ONE and the OTHER-ONE.

I'm trying to write a vba script to move mails within the same mailbox, just into another folder (so not from one mailbox to the other one).

The vba script is configured as an action of a rule, and it receives an Outlook.MailItem as a parameter.
    In other words I want to manually execute that rule on any folder of any mailbox and get a move of matching mail (based on subject) into another folder (based on subject) in the same mailbox of the Outlook.MailItem object.

This is what I have done until now (it is boring but I will comment every line to explain what it does in my mind):

Public Sub AppResponseManage(Item As Outlook.MailItem)

Dim myOlApp
    Dim myOlNameSpace
    Dim objInboxFolder
    Dim objProjectFolder
    Dim itms
    Dim ItemCount, UnReadItemCount
    Dim a, b, c, d

Set myOlApp = Item.Application ' define the app environment based on the mail received as a parameter
    Set myOlNameSpace = myOlApp.Session ' define the namespace environment based on the mail received as a parameter

Dim mailbox, inbox

Set mailbox = Item.Parent.Store.GetRootFolder ' get the mailbox to which the mail belongs
    Set inbox = Item.Parent.Store.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox) ' get the inbox folder of the above mailbox

Set objInboxFolder = myOlNameSpace.folders(mailbox.Name).folders(inbox.Name) ' define the inbox folder based on the two above

Dim sendName, errorName, deviceName, ifName, mailSubject, exists As String
    'here there will be some simple actions that extract sender-name and other words from the mail subject (some of these will represent the folder path where the mail will be moved)

'as a first check I verify if already exists a folder named as the sender (in the inbox folder):
    CheckSender:
    a = 1
    Do Until a > objInboxFolder.folders.Count ' THIS IS THE FIRST BIG PROBLEM : THE COUNT IS MOST OF TIME ZERO AND VERY VERY RARELY TEN (THE TRUTH, AS I HAVE TEN FOLDERS IN THE INBOX)

' HERE I STOP COMMENTING: IT IS MANDATORY TO SOLVE THE ABOVE PROBLEM FOR ME BEFORE GOING ON ;-)

If objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).Name = sendName Then GoTo CheckError
    a = a + 1
    Loop
    GoTo CreateAll

CheckError:
    MsgBox objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).Name & " exists"
    b = 1
    Do Until b > objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).Count
    If objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).folders.Item(b).Name = errorName Then GoTo CheckDevice
    b = b + 1
    Loop
    GoTo CreateError

CheckDevice:
    MsgBox objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).folders.Item(b).Name & " exists"
    c = 1
    Do Until c > objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).folders.Item(b).Count
    If objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).folders.Item(b).folders.Item(c).Name = deviceName Then GoTo CheckInterface
    c = c + 1
    Loop
    GoTo CreateDevice

CheckInterface:
    MsgBox objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).folders.Item(b).folders.Item(c).Name & " exists"
    d = 1
    Do Until d > objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).folders.Item(b).folders.Item(c).Count
    If objInboxFolder.folders.Item(a).folders.Item(b).folders.Item(c).folders.Item (d).Name = ifName Then GoTo MoveMail
    d = d + 1
    Loop

CreateInterface:
    ' Set objProjectFolder = objInboxFolder.folders(sendName).folders(errorName).folders(deviceName).fol ders.Add(ifName)
    GoTo MoveMail

CreateDevice:
    ' Set objProjectFolder = objInboxFolder.folders(sendName).folders(errorName).folders.Add(deviceName) .folders.Add(ifName)
    GoTo MoveMail

CreateError:
    ' Set objProjectFolder = objInboxFolder.folders(sendName).folders.Add(errorName).folders.Add(deviceN ame).folders.Add(ifName)
    GoTo MoveMail

CreateAll:
    ' Set objProjectFolder = objInboxFolder.folders.Add(sendName).folders.Add(errorName).folders.Add(dev iceName).folders.Add(ifName)

MoveMail:
    MsgBox Item.Subject

End Sub

Thanks in advance
    MaxFactor

It appears that you are trying to process all the folders and sub folders to locate a particular folder 'sendName' that being the case use the following.I have not defined sendName or added the processing.

Dim cFolders As Collection
    Dim olFolder As Outlook.Folder
    Dim SubFolder As Outlook.Folder
    Dim olNS As Outlook.NameSpace

Set cFolders = New Collection
        Set olNS = GetNamespace("MAPI")
        cFolders.Add olNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)
        Do While cFolders.Count > 0
            Set olFolder = cFolders(1)
            cFolders.Remove 1
    '##############
            If olFolder.Name = sendName Then
                'do stuff
            End If
    '##############
            If olFolder.folders.Count > 0 Then
                For Each SubFolder In olFolder.folders
                    cFolders.Add SubFolder
                Next SubFolder
            End If
        Loop
    lbl_Exit:
        Set olFolder = Nothing
        Set SubFolder = Nothing
        Exit Sub
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

Thank you gMayor, but I need to intercept the inbox folder of the mailbox of the mailbox to which the mail belongs.

The code

Set olNS = GetNamespace("MAPI")

will return the inbox folder of the main mainbox, while it could belong to a secondary one (over which on which I have full access permissions).

So, starting from the MailItem object I have to get the right mailbox, and so I was thinking about something like:

Set myOlApp = Item.Application
    Set olNS = myOlApp.Session

but something does not work because cFolders.Count is always 1 (and I know it is not so).

Am I trying to get something impossible? Thanks

You could change

to

cFolders.Add olNS.PickFolder
    which would allow you to select the top level folder

or working from the message Item olItem

cFolders.Add olItem.Parent
    should give you the folder the current item is in as the top level folder. This should be fine as long as you are working in the same account.
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com