Consulting

Thread: Solved: TMP

VBAX Regular
    Solved: TMP

Hi

Since I started using VBE, every time I open up any workbook I now get loads of personal tmp workbooks sitting in my system tray as well. I know they are sat in XLSTART etc, and I can hide them with the window - but they just come back up again when I open a new workbook. They are now starting to get on my nerves.

How do I stop them opening up altogether?

Cheers & thanks

Amanda PS - I think there is some funny virus connected with this VB stuff - three weeks ago, I didn't even know what VB actually was - now I have gone and bought Visual Basic Standard edition - is this bug fatal or just chronic?

That's more than likely it, right there. Anything in the XLSTART folder(s) will open on Excel startup. Just remove the files from that folder.

VBAX Regular

I've done that, so often it is ridiculous. But folder can be empty - lo & behold I will open a new workbook & yet another tmp file appears in my tray.

Eek!!

Cheers

Amanda

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill!
    VBAX Master
    You may want to do a search on your system for 'xlstart'.. there is sometimes multiples of them
    one in the c:\documents and settings\amanda1\application data\microsoft\excel\xlstart
    sometimes there is one at C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
    and sometimes even at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office

I mention those three as they are the 3 I have in my system! Might be worth taking a look at
    Matt

Also, go to Tools\Options\General tab and see if there is a file path listed for "at startup open all files in:"

If there is anything listed for that, just delete it and press OK.

VBAX Regular
    I've done all of those checks already, all clear and clean - but more still keep coming up - they aren't the same file each time - these are new ones being automatically created every time I open a workbook. Never had it before, only since I started using VB so there must be some connection somewhere - but do you think I can find it?

Hrm. Do you have any macros that may be doing it? Since it's happening with each new workbook, I'm thinking perhaps something in Personal.xls?

Other than that, I'm pretty much out of ideas :shrug:

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    I would try disabling all add-ins and checking your Personal.xls ThisWorkbook module. Disable any opening code, close Excel and try again. Same thing?

VBAX Regular

I had disabled add-ins to see if that helped - along with deleting all the tmp files. I've taken your suggestion re the workbook, no open code - so I've moved it from the directory. Now lets see what happens.

Thanks for your help

Amanda

VBAX Regular

Something has worked - today I don't have any more little "tmp" files appearing - I haven't checked if there are any in the directory, but even if they are I don't care, they aren't populating on the screen or tray, which suits me fine!!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!! Regards Amanda