Consulting

Thread: VBA conks out on very simple code

VBA conks out on very simple code

After many years of working without problem, my macros suddenly stop working on basic commands, such as the following:
        Selection.Cells(1, 1).FormulaR1C1 = "foo"
        Debug.Print "done"
    This example code writes "foo" in the cell, but then stops execution without any warning or error message, and never executes Debug.Print. Setting On Error Resume Next doesn't help.

This doesn't happen consistently, though. When I tried the example in a completely new file, it worked just fine. So I recreated one of the problematic .XLSM files by copying the sheets individually to a new file, and then importing the VBA code into that file, but that didn't help: The problem still exists, even with this simple two-liner.

VBAX Sage
    If something other than a Range is selected (i.e. a Shape, Chart, etc.), it won't work

Option Explicit

Sub test()

If TypeOf Selection Is Range Then
            Selection.Cells(1, 1).FormulaR1C1 = "foo"
            Debug.Print "done"

Else
            Debug.Print "not done"
        End If

End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

After many years of working without problem, my macros suddenly stop working
    What, in around or about, your computing system recently changed

Network? Patchcord? OS? Office version? Ram? Keyboard? Desk, chair? et al.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    If something other than a Range is selected (i.e. a Shape, Chart, etc.), it won't work
    Good idea. But sadly, this is not an explanation here. What I posted here was actually just a sample, which I wrote for testing, and with which I could still repro the issue, and of course I selected a range when testing it. The context of the original code, which always worked, did not change. And I experienced it in at least 4 different macros, which all suddenly exhibit this strange behavior. I say “strange” because I don't think VBA should ever conk out just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    What, in around or about, your computing system recently changed ...
    Both Windows (10) and Office (2007) are changing constantly, thanks to MS's automatic updates. Other than that, nothing changed since the last time at least one of the macros ran without a problem (some 4 days ago).

VBAX Sage
    2. Remove from project
    3. Import file from step 1

This should 'clean' the invisible garbage that collects in a heavily edit module

Also

https://www.add-ins.com/macro-produc...x-vba-code.htm
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

Thanks, this should be just the right solution, but isn't it basically what I already did?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian H View Post
    I recreated one of the problematic .XLSM files by copying the sheets individually to a new file, and then importing the VBA code into that file ...
    If anything, what I did should be safer, since I started from a new, empty file.

VBAX Sage

a. Export the module from the original, and Import into to the new workbook

or

b. Just drag the modules between the workbooks?

Paul

2. Upload an example

I'm not saying this is definitely your issue, but it is one reason I choose to be Notified when updates are available, so I can make Restore Points of the Registry.

SamT: You identified a likely cause, thank you! Unfortunately I don't have a restore point to which I could return. (For anyone else reading this, here is a good description how to go about it.) Fortunately, though, this did not come up in a paid project, so I can wait till the next MS update; maybe they'll fix the regression. Or is there a faster or more proactive way?

Paul: b. That ‘import’ goes with ‘export’ seems obvious to me, but I see your point: Here we meet people from many different backgrounds; it's wise not to take one's own assumptions for granted.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Did you check in the VBEditor tools/references ?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    @SamT

Since you have such warm relationships with MS, why don't you suggest them to create a restore point in the registry automaticaally everytime a 'down'date is taking place ?
    Last edited by snb; 10-10-2020 at 08:03 AM.

VBAX Sage
    Paul: b. That ‘import’ goes with ‘export’ seems obvious to me, but I see your point: Here we meet people from many different backgrounds; it's wise not to take one's own assumptions for granted.

True, and just to make certain that I've expressed myself clearly, I meant 1, 2, and 3

Capture.JPG

The code cleaner adds a menu item that does all modules all at once

Capture2.JPG

Paul

2. Upload an example

Quote Originally Posted by snb View Post
    Did you check in the VBEditor tools/references ?
    Check for what? The two-line test code of my OP only uses basic built-in functionality (which I don't think can be overloaded); so what possible problem do you see? Just to be absolutely sure, I removed the references that are not needed for the test code, but no surprise, it still repros.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    ... I meant 1, 2, and 3
    As I wrote, I started from a new, empty file. That means, your step 2 doesn't apply, as there is nothing to remove.
    Last edited by Sebastian H; 10-10-2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: wrong term

Paul: b. ....
    Oops, I meant a. But it seems Paul understood what I meant.

Apparently this regression bug got fixed with one of the recent updates.

Sub ResetApp()
    With Application
       .ScreenUpdating  =  True
       .DisplayAlerts = True
       .Caclulation = xlCalculationAutomatic
       'and any others I run into
    End With
    End sub