Consulting

Thread: Issues with arrays/collections/etc

VBAX Regular
    Issues with arrays/collections/etc

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem. At first it seems quite simple but it is driving me up the wall.

Basically, I have 4 sheets with staff names and company names in columns A and B. The 4 sheets represent financial quarters so, for the most part, the staff and company names are the same on all 4 sheets but occassionaly someone is added or removed (because they got their lazy butts fired). I also have a sheet at the end called 'Brickwall' which is intended as a sort of commentary sheet with the staff and company names in columns A and B and then another 13 or so columns (up to column O) which contain random numbers or commentary.

What I wanted to do was write a script that would sort through all 4 quarter sheets and extract the unique names and place them all in brickwall sheet in alphamabetical order. I have a nice little collection script which does that rather nicely. Unfortunately, doofus that I am, the brickwall sheet only updates columns A and B and leaves C - O alone. This means that if someone adds a new company or staff name in one of the quarters and then runs the macro, a new row will be inserted into columns A + B but NOT for the rest of the columns. This means the pre-existing data in columns C - O will very quickly go out of sync with the data in columns A and B.

I tried to remedy this by expanding the macro to include all 15 columns but this didn't work. I then wrote more code to ... well, let's just say that by the time I got it to work properly the script had become the most bloated and diseased pile of crap you will EVER see. Running the macro took a good 10 seconds and it was, in essence, useless because it didn't really act as a time saver but more of a hinderance.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to make this work? I am completely stumped.

VBAX Regular
    Mainly because I want to know if it can be done and some tips on how to approach it...

I guess my point is that you were provided with help before but you didn't make an effort to use it... or at least your lack of a response in the link seems to indicate this. I wish you luck in solving this thread. Perhaps others will be more willing to contribute. Dave

VBAX Regular
    Too be honest, I had completely forgotten about that thread. I tried out some of the suggestions but after about 20 minutes of testing various ideas with the intention of reporting on how they worked out I got dragged into a meeting and was informed that that aspect of the project was now scrapped and then got loaded down with another project to work on. By the time I got back to my desk I had totally forgotten about this thread and was thinking about my new project. I wasn't being rude or ungrateful...just absent minded. Apologies.

James

[VBA]Range("a7:b60").End(xlDown).ClearContents

Range("a7").Resize(UBound(outarr), 2).Value = outarr[/VBA]

Compare the contents of array "outarr" 's to the existing ws range in "Brickwall" for changes.
    Then remove/add the entire row to the ws before placing your new data in "A" & "B"
    Then expand your sort range to include the entire contents of "Brickwall". HTH Dave
    edit...don't know what that font thing is?
    Last edited by johnske; 12-09-2005 at 12:59 AM. Reason: correct scripting errors

Administrator
    Chat VP

I edited your post to correct that font error - it's because whatever document of yours you copied from had a font change or two somewhere in it.
    To correct this if it happens again, select ALL your post, then choose Verdana font and size 2.

Regards,
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

VBAX Regular
    That's a good idea. I'll give that a try when I'm back in the office on Monday (why the hell doesn't M$ works not come with a VB editor, Bill, huh?!).

Watch this space for an update!