Consulting

Thread: Run-time 3061: too few parameters expected 1

VBAX Newbie
    Run-time 3061: too few parameters expected 1

Hello,
    I am working on an access database that has a form w/a list box called lst_Jobs. The idea is for someone to select a job or jobs from the list box and submit. Upon hitting submit, a new record is created that stores two fields, employee_id and job_id. There is a validation that searches through the selected items and if "Yes" is found in the 4th column of the list box, then a message box pops up, the user answers yes or no and depending on which they choose, their submissions are submitted or cleared out. this part works fine.
    However, if the validation search returns NO, then the messagebox is skipped and the info is submitted. This is where the error comes in. If the user selects more than one item, I receive the runtime3061 error. Otherwise I don't get the error and it only happens when the validation returns no.
    Below is the code (I am not that strong in VBA so some things maybe unnecessary) with the section in question bold & italiczed. Thanks in advance for any help as I have been struggling with this all day.

Private Sub Command4_Click()

Dim i As Long
    Dim lngRow As Long
    Dim strMsg As String
    Dim frm As Form
    Dim ctl As Control
    Dim varItem As Variant
    Dim strSQL As String
    Dim answer As VbMsgBoxResult
    Dim Verification As VbMsgBoxResult
    Dim Msg, Style, Title
    Msg = Msg & "Do you wish to submit your selections?"
    Style = vbYesNo + vbCritical + vbDefaultButton2
    Title = "Attention!"
    Set frm = Forms!frm_SelectJobs
    Set ctl = Forms!frm_SelectJobs!lst_Jobs

With Me.lst_Jobs
    For lngRow = 0 To .ListCount - 1
    If .selected(lngRow) Then
    strMsg = strMsg & ", " & .Column(3, lngRow)
    End If
    Next lngRow
    End With
    If InStr(strMsg, "Yes") Then
    Msg = "One or more of the jobs you selected may require the following disclosure: If you are not presently qualified as a driver " & vbNewLine
    Msg = Msg & " *You must be a minimum of 21 years of age" & vbNewLine
    Msg = Msg & " *You must have a current, valid, applicable license" & vbNewLine
    Msg = Msg & " *You must be physically examined and accepted under DOT physical requirements" & vbNewLine
    Msg = Msg & " *You must be able to drive a manual transmission (stick-shift)" & vbNewLine
    Msg = Msg & " *You must pass a current UPS road test" & vbNewLine
    Msg = Msg & " *You must have a good driving record as determined by the company( e.g. No more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years AND none in the most recent 12 month period)" & vbNewLine
    Msg = Msg & " *You must meet the same requirements as outside applicants." & vbNewLine
    Msg = Msg & " *Must successfully complete Package Driver Orientation." & vbNewLine
    Msg = Msg & "Do you wish to submit your selections?"
    Style = vbYesNo + vbCritical + vbDefaultButton1
    Title = "Attention!"
    Verification = MsgBox(Msg, Style, Title)
    If Verification = vbYes Then
    For Each varItem In ctl.ItemsSelected
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_SelectedJobs (Employee_ID, Job_ID) VALUES(" & _
    Me.Text2 & ", " & ctl.ItemData(varItem) & ");"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError
    Next varItem
    MsgBox ("Thank you. You are all set! We will let you know if you are selected. Good Luck! The jobs will be filled in seniority order.")
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frm_SelectJobs", acSaveNo
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frm_EmpVerification", acSaveNo
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frm_EmpSearch", acSaveNo
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_EmpSearch", acNormal
    Else

For i = 0 To lst_Jobs.ListCount - 1
    lst_Jobs.selected(i) = False
    Next
    End If
    Else
    For Each varItem In ctl.ItemsSelected
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_SelectedJobs (Employee_ID, Job_ID) VALUES(" & _

Me.Text2 & ", " & ctl.ItemData(varItem) & ");"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError
    Next varItem
    MsgBox ("Thank you. You are all set! We will let you know if you are selected. Good Luck! The jobs will be filled in seniority order.")
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frm_SelectJobs", acSaveNo
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frm_EmpVerification", acSaveNo
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frm_EmpSearch", acSaveNo
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_EmpSearch", acNormal
    End If

First, and I've given this advice a lot... ... I would do this...
    strSQL="<your SQL here>"
    Debug.Print strSQL
    Stop
    You should be able to copy/paste from the immediate window to a new query (SQL view) and if it is correct when you 'run' the query, then it's fine. If there is something wrong with the SQL (which is what I suspect), then you can fix the statement.

Right off the bat, I don't see anything that may prevent Me.Text2 from being blank, which would affect things.
    "Nuclear" Nick
    The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

Oh, and when you are finished testing, don't forget to remove the 'debug' and 'stop' statements. Actually, the debug won't hurt, but you probably don't want your application stopping on people.
    "Nuclear" Nick
    The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

VBAX Newbie
    Thank you Nuclear_Nick for your help. I made some changes to the data itself for testing purpose and have realized that I get the error when the job_id field has a letter in it. In some cases the job ID may be begin w/a letter in others it may begin w/ number. Do you know why this would present an issue?
    Last edited by kgross73; 08-22-2018 at 08:59 AM.

The field types you are trying to 'input' (Employee_ID, Job_ID), I can assume, are numbers, correct?

Can't put letters in a numerical field. I would suggest keeping the ID 'numbers' just that... numbers.
    "Nuclear" Nick

VBAX Guru
    Nick, if the Job_ID requires letters, then the field should be set to text type String to accomodate it.
    I am not sure that it will solve the problem though.

What field type is Job_ID in the database?

If it is a string, then I'm assuming it is failing because in your SQL string is expecting a number, not a string. If Job_ID is a string and not a number, you'll need to surround the Job_ID in the SQL string with quotes.

strSQL = "SELECT Job_ID FROM tblJobs WHERE Job_ID = '" & Job_ID & "'"
    Note the placement of the single quotes surrounding Job_ID. Just a sample...
    "Nuclear" Nick