Consulting

Thread: Importing data from multiple files by VBA

Importing data from multiple files by VBA

Hi experts!

I am trying to import and list a range of data from multiple files kept in a Folder.

My aim is:
    1. To get the data range imported to a Sheet named "DATA" in a master worksheet.
    2. To be able to use the extracted data at "DATA" sheet through formula in other 3 sheets of MASTER file.
    3. To get rid of the blank rows from input ranges.
    4. To be able to run the code automatically once I open the MASTER worksheet.

I tried the following code:

Sub Test()    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
        Sheets("DATA").Cells.ClearContents
        Dim LastRow As Long
        Dim firstRow As Long
        Dim myDir As String, fn As String, n As Long, t As Long, Cell As String
        Const wsName As String = "Summary of the Year"
        Const myRng As String = "G77:U796"
        myDir = "D:\Aircrew_Flying_Hour"
        fn = Dir(myDir & "\*.xlsx")
        If fn = "" Then MsgBox "No files in the folder": Exit Sub
        With Range(myRng)
            n = .Rows.Count: t = .Columns.Count
            Cell = .Cells(1).Address(0, 0)
        End With
        Do While fn <> ""
            With Sheets("Data").Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(1).Resize(n, t)

.Formula = "=if('" & myDir & "\[" & fn & "]" & wsName & "'!" & Cell & "<>""""," & _
                           "'" & myDir & "\[" & fn & "]" & wsName & "'!" & Cell & ","""")"
                .Value = .Value
            End With
            fn = Dir
        Loop
        firstRow = Sheets("DATA").Range("A1:A" & Sheets("DATA").Rows.Count).Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Row
        LastRow = Sheets("DATA").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstRow & ":A" & LastRow).AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="="
        Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstRow & ":A" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
        If Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode Then Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode = False
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
        Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic 
    End Sub
    Problem is:
    1. When I run the code, the code clears all previous data and import fresh data, all cells in Sheet 2,3 and 4 where I have used any type of formula linking to DATA Sheet turns into "#REF!"

2. I tried changing
    Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstRow & ":A" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
    to
    Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstRow & ":A" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.ClearContents
    Doing this I could get rid of #REF! error but now the blank rows in the range started to appear.

3. I do not know due what error the last row (with value) of my desired range from each source files are not imported. I am getting the total data range minus 1 row of information from each source files.

I tried to get a solution at mrexcel but not getting a response for long. Link below:
    HTML Code:
    https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1067577-hyperlinking-data-other-sheets-one-sheet-where-data-imported-macro.html
    I am using Excel 2010. Can anyone please help!

VBAX Expert
    I responded to your query on mrexcel, but didn't follow it up because I didn't understand what you meant by:
    To get rid of the blank rows from input ranges.
    Can you be more explicit about what you mean by this.

Thanks for your reply!

I meant that the range I am trying to import from source files is G77:U796 where I have blank rows as well. So while importing to my master file I want to get rid of those. This is already included in the code.

VBAX Expert
    I understand what you are trying to do, I think there is a very easy way round it:
    Instead of importing the file directly into your master sheet ("DATA"), import them into a temp sheet ( which you can create and then delete at the end) , thne copy the rows which have data into your master sheet.
    I would do the copy using variant arrays but you could do using filter and range to range copy.

I understand what you are trying to do, I think there is a very easy way round it
    Actually the array is large and there are too many source files otherwise I would not have tried it with VBA.

I do not understand what you mean by:
    Instead of importing the file directly into your master sheet ("DATA"), import them into a temp sheet ( which you can create and then delete at the end) , thne copy the rows which have data into your master sheet.
    I would do the copy using variant arrays but you could do using filter and range to range copy.
    Even if I create a temp sheet, if I run the code the same problem will appear as master sheet will be dependent on the imported data through hyperlink!

VBAX Expert
    I have written some code to do what I suggested in situe using variant arrays so use this code:
    farr = Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstrow & ":A" & lastrow).Formula
    inarr = Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstrow & ":A" & lastrow)
    Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstrow & ":A" & lastrow) = ""
    outarr = Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstrow & ":A" & lastrow)
    indi = 1
    For i = firstrow To lastrow
     tt = InStr(farr(i, 1), "=")
       If tt > 0 Then
        ' copy the row
         outarr(indi, 1) = inarr(i, 1)
         indi = indi + 1
       End If
     Next i

Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstrow & ":A" & lastrow) = outarr
    instead of these three lines of code:

Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstrow & ":A" & lastrow).AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="="    
    Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstrow & ":A" & lastrow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
        If Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode Then Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode = False

Yeah. #REF! error is gone!

But now the data are not arranged like before. And the data that were supposed to be in Column A are missing.

I want the destination sheet to look like:
    HTML Code:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3dmm39spsedmjb/Screenshot_2.jpg?dl=0
    With your code now it looks like below with a lot of blank rows:
    HTML Code:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ygh0f27yi4ab89/Untitled.jpg?dl=0

VBAX Expert
    You are not giving me enough clues to work out what you want, which I suspect is why you didn't get a sufficient response from MrEXcel.
    I have written some code for you that will remove blank lines from a worksheet without deleting the rows. I suggest you try and understand what I have written and then modify it yourself to suit what you actually need.

Thank you! I will try that.