Consulting

Thread: Excel VBA Seek Error Solution

Excel VBA Seek Error Solution

I have been working with a VBA function called "ForwardCurve" in excel 2016. The code is not very complex or large, in fact its fairly small. Unfortunately, the function is resulting in an error message that I hoped someone could help shed light on. The error message states, " Microsoft Visual Basic for Application Compile Error: Variable not defined". I'm specifically looking for a look over with the code to make sure there isn't something minor missing or needing correcting. I have attached the excel file with the VBA code. There are quick details on the first worksheet of the excel doc. The second worksheet has the model I'm attempting to use the function/code. Lastly, the third worksheet has an identical sample model with all the correct results without the function/code. Thanks! ForwardCurve Function.xlsmForward Curve Function.docx

VBAX Sage
    Function ForwardCurve(dblTime As Double, Term As Variant, SpotRates As Variant)
        'Term and SpotRates are variant data type
        Dim l As Integer ' <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< that's an L, but you're using I in the loop
    Also SplineInterpolation() is not defined in the workbook
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 08-31-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Option Base 1
    Option Explicit
    Function ForwardCurve(dblTime As Double, Term As Variant, SpotRates As Variant)
        Dim l As Integer
        Dim vecForwardRates() As Double
        ReDim vecForwardRates(SpotRates.Count - 1)

'Create forward rate curve and fill vecForwardRates()
       i = 1
        For i = 1 To UBound(vecForwardRates)
               vecForwardRates(l) = ForwardRate(dblTime, dblTime + Term(l), Term, SpotRates)
        Next i
        ForwardCurve = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(vecForwardRates)
    End Function
    Private Function ForwardRate(dbt1 As Double, dbt2 As Double, rngTerm As Variant, rngMid As Variant)
    Dim rt1, rt2 As Double
      'find rt1, rt2 (appropriate interpolated rates) using spline interpolation method
    rt1 = SplineInterpolation(dbt1, rngTerm, rngMid)
    rt2 = SplineInterpolation(dbt2, rngTerm, rngMid)
     'calculate forward rate f(rt1,rt2)
    ForwardRate = rt2 * (dbt2 / (dbt2 - dbt1)) - rt1 * (dbt1 / (dbt2 - dbt1))
    End Function
    Thanks for the response Paul, would anything else require an L instead of an i in the code?
    Do you know where I could obtain SplineInterpolation () vba code, ( a book so I may compare to the one I have? Sorry I didn't include this, as the ForwardFunction was my concern.
    Regards

VBAX Sage
    No idea what SplineInterpolution() is supposed to do, but Google is your friend. There is an TREND() function that you could look at

Capture2.JPG
    Some sugguestions

1. 'i' is more common than 'l' so I changed to 'i'

2. Long is recommended over Integer

3. If you don't explicitly Dim each variable, they default to Variant

Dim rt1 As Double, rt2 As Double

Option Base 1
    Option Explicit

Function ForwardCurve(dblTime As Double, Term As Variant, SpotRates As Variant) As Variant
        Dim i As Long   '   <<<<<<<<<<
        Dim vecForwardRates() As Double
        ReDim vecForwardRates(SpotRates.Count - 1)
        'Create forward rate curve and fill vecForwardRates()
        i = 1
        For i = 1 To UBound(vecForwardRates)
            vecForwardRates(i) = ForwardRate(dblTime, dblTime + Term(i), Term, SpotRates)
        Next i

ForwardCurve = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(vecForwardRates)
    End Function

Private Function ForwardRate(dbt1 As Double, dbt2 As Double, rngTerm As Variant, rngMid As Variant) As Variant
        Dim rt1 As Double, rt2 As Double    '   <<<<<<<<<<<<
        'find rt1, rt2 (appropriate interpolated rates) using spline interpolation method
        rt1 = SplineInterpolation(dbt1, rngTerm, rngMid)
        rt2 = SplineInterpolation(dbt2, rngTerm, rngMid)
        'calculate forward rate f(rt1,rt2)
        ForwardRate = rt2 * (dbt2 / (dbt2 - dbt1)) - rt1 * (dbt1 / (dbt2 - dbt1))
    End Function
    The error message and the highlight is pretty clear that 'i' is not defined

That's the reason I always use Option Explicit, since the macro would run, but the answers would be wrong (I'll take all the help I can get)

Capture.JPG
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Thanks Paul for all the help! I saw that function on youtube- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9uU...ature=youtu.be

I found another forward rate function that is directly from a book for Excel, although I did use another SplineInterpolate UDF for the non-given years, it works well. Hope the pictures below are expandable when you click on them. The only thing that makes the youtube function better is the ability to set the future rate at different terms (.50,1,2,3,etc), instead of only one year for the model in the pictures. Regards.
    Capture6.JPGCapture7.JPG