Consulting

Thread: Range in macro

Range in macro

Hello, I've inherited an Excel macro at work that I need to update. I am somewhat familiar with VBA but far from being an expert. Here is a snippet of the code I would like to ask about:

If Len(bad_data_temp) = 0 Then
    bad_data_temp = arr1(i, 1) & " in row " & i & "[at sign][at sign][at sign][at sign][at sign]Range(" & column_number & i
    End If

I don't understand what the Range and column_number is doing. What is the purpose of the "[at sign]" and why are there 5 of them? What is the "(" at the end of the Range doing? I tried Google but I couldn't find any information about this. Thanks for any help you can provide.

The code actually contains the "at sign" but the forum won't let me post it.

It is difficult to answer your question because your code is incomplete. It appears this is part of a loop. Can you post the complete Sub or Function code this came from?
    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

"1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3 - 573PH3N H4WK1NG"

Hi Leith,

Here is more code. This macro checks sure that users enter data correctly. For example, this part checks for gender.

'validate Gender
    For i = 1 To LastLine Step 1
    If i > 2 Then
    If Len(arr1(i, 1)) > 0 Then
    If arr1(i, 1) <> "MALE" And _
    arr1(i, 1) <> "FEMALE" Then
    bad_data_in_field = bad_data_in_field + 1
    If Len(bad_data_temp) = 0 Then
    bad_data_temp = arr1(i, 1) & " - in row # " & i & "[at sign][at sign][at sign][at sign][at sign]Range(" & column_num & i
    End If
    End If
    End If
    End If

The macro generates a small report letting the user know what's wrong so they can fix it. For example, if I entered "ZZZZZ" for gender, it would report. This is the exact error message in two columns.
    gender ZZZZZ - in row # 3

Thanks for helping.

This line is incomplete...

bad_data_temp = arr1(i, 1) & " - in row # " & i & "[at sign][at sign][at sign][at sign][at sign]Range(" & column_num & i 

It should look something like this...
    bad_data_temp = arr1(i, 1) & " - in row # " & i & "[at sign][at sign][at sign][at sign][at sign]Range(" & column_num & i & ")"

Based on my correction of the code, the bad_data_temp string would look like this...

gender ZZZZZ - in row # 3 @@@@@Range(B3)
    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

"1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3 - 573PH3N H4WK1NG"