Consulting

Thread: Normal.dot?

VBAX Expert
    Normal.dot?

All

I have some code that i use in a number of different documents and I want to be able to call this code from a number of computers over a network and am wondering where the best place to store the code is?

I will need some code within each document I am using but because I want the document to open as quickly as possible was wondering if i could store a load of my macros somewhere else.

Does the Normal.dot get stored on each c drive or is it stored in a central location on a network?

Or do I need to write some kind of addin that i can then store on the network somewhere that i can then call

Can someone give me some guidance on the best approach please or point me in the direction of where I readup

Thanks

Gibbo

Hi Gibbo,

I have been working on a similar problem for the last few weeks: I am writing macros that I want to distribute to lots of different people on the same network. Although I am by no means an expert, what I intend to do is store the macros on the normal.dot template by using the macro organizer.

In my situation, the user's profile information is accessed from a central server (enabling them to logon to any computer) including the Normal.dot template. So if you modify the Normal Template on the central Office application data to include the macros, assuming that the user's default template being used is Normal.dot, then it should work. However, dont quote me on that!
    Sam

VBAX Expert

I ll give it a go

Gibbo

VBAX Wizard

1. Normal.dot should be kept as clean as possible, with a little macro code, AutoCorrect, AutoText as possible. Normal.dot gets corrupted easily. It isone of the first things trouble shooters do - delete normal.dot.

2. If you are trying to have a central normal.dot, you had better make sure the local one is taken care of! By default Word uses the normal.dot under each individual user's settings. That is:
    c:\document and settings\username\application data\microsoft\templates....whew....

Use a global template (an add-in). That file can contain your code, and that file can be scripted to be copied to the Office Startup folder on each machime. Thi s maintains the central control of the contents, making it easy to update.

Use a global.

And admins that push a central Normal over the network at every logon want shooting. They may gain a slight shprt-term administrative advantage but they will alienate their users and, in the long term, probably cost their company a fortune.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com

VBAX Wizard

Normal.dot should, as much as possible, be left alone! There are better ways to have a corporate standard available. Global templates efficiently produced and maintained are far superior to messing around with normal.dot.

Globals with appropriate training is, IMHO, the only viable solution to this issue. They permit a standard to be used, yey allow personal user configuration. It is very possible to do checks on final documents to see if they adhere to standards. It takes good design, and intelligent and sensitive coding.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base

My preferred method:

A global template on a network drive.
    Have Words startup path on all Clients setup point to that template (addin).
    When Word starts it loads the template globally and you'll be able to access the macro's!

There are many ways to do this but you should always try to keep it one file because you have maintenance as well. (And version problems and other stuff when people have things localy installed on pc's)

HTH,
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)

VBAX Wizard
    It is not needed to point Startup itself to the network location. A shortcut to the global template IN Startup is all that is needed. It will happily load the global.

Hey guys, thanks for the tips! I admit that I had no idea about what the implications were of modifying Normal.dot, and I also admit to just following what had gone before!!! I am an "amateur" programmer, at best, and had written some of my own macros to help me adhere to a company file naming standard...my boss looked over my shoulder and then declared (rather casually) that everyone should have them: so there we go, somehow I find myself propelled from office assistant waiting for a proper job to company computer administrator! Talk about a learning curve.
    Sam