Consulting

Thread: Create an executable from a macro

Create an executable from a macro

Good evening.
    I would like to ask you for information. Could you convert a scrapping macro to an executable with visual basic, since the programming language is similar?
    If someone answers then I would like to ask other questions combined with this.
    Thank you

You would need to convert your macro to VB code to make it an executable.

There are commerical products that claim to make Excel an executable but .... not really. Been down that road before and haven't found a solution
    other than to program your project into another language.

I just read your message.
    Thank you for your answer

If the code is VBS, name the file with a VBS file extension. It will then be "executable" unless your IT has a restriction.

There are methods to autoexecute VBA code when the XLSM opens. That is not exactly "executable" per se. It is an easy way to autoexecute a file via a Windows Schedule Task. I usually put a timer MsgBox() to allow an edit option. If option not selected, it execute the rest of the code and closes the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Hobs View Post
    If the code is VBS, name the file with a VBS file extension. It will then be "executable" unless your IT has a restriction.

There are methods to autoexecute VBA code when the XLSM opens. That is not exactly "executable" per se. It is an easy way to autoexecute a file via a Windows Schedule Task. I usually put a timer MsgBox() to allow an edit option. If option not selected, it execute the rest of the code and closes the file.

I had explained that visual studio contains visual basic and other languages like c ++ ect.
    So being that macros use vb you could somehow create an executable.
    You probably need to first convert the code of a macro to visual basic and then create the program with visual studio.

I am lost. You explained .NET (Visual Studios)? If you knew about .NET, then why ask about creating EXE files in #1?

I am lost. You explained .NET (Visual Studios)? If you knew about .NET, then why ask about creating EXE files in #1?

I'm trying to understand the differences between visual basic, vb.net and visual studio to understand which language is most useful to try to create a program starting from a code that I have done with the Excel code.

Vb.net is in visual studios. Going to vb or vbs or vb.net from vba is not too difficult. It just depends on the code. E.g vbs does not use early bound references. Ergo, no intellisense.

Vb.net is in visual studios. Going to vb or vbs or vb.net from vba is not too difficult. It just depends on the code. E.g vbs does not use early bound references. Ergo, no intellisense.

Do you also know these other languages?

I have used them, and others. These days, I mostly do VBA.

I am not sure how many forums would help translating one language to another. If small, you could post the code and ask. The vb.net forums would probably be your best bet.

I have used them, and others. These days, I mostly do VBA.

I am not sure how many forums would help translating one language to another. If small, you could post the code and ask. The vb.net forums would probably be your best bet.
    thank you, Mr. Hobson. I have to try to improve the macro that I have already and then write in the forum that you indicated to me.