Consulting

Thread: Opening a Word document from VBA shows Microsoft Sign In page

VBAX Newbie
    Opening a Word document from VBA shows Microsoft Sign In page

When I open certain Word documents in Word (or Excel) VBA, the Microsoft sign in page shows up (see below). However, if I just double click on the file from Windows Explorer, the file opens just fine without showing this sign in page. Also, if I manually exit the popup window the document loads without any issue. This only happens on certain documents but the sign in page halts the macro.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to stop it?

I have tried almost everything listed on forums. Deleting credentials, logged into Office, etc.

Thanks,

Mark

Document Download Link from Source: https://portal.3gpp.org/ngppapp/Crea...utionId=867945

Code Segment:

Dim wdApp As Word.Application

Set wdApp = New Word.Application
    wdApp.Visible = True

Dim wd As Word.document 
    Set wd = wdApp.Documents.Open(doc)

Last edited by markinca; 10-09-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Looking at your illustration and code, it seems that you are running the code from another VBA enabled application, and that doesn't recognize the format of the document reported as "RAN2_101bis_Sanya." (which is not a Word document name) and so it asks you to help it out. For the code to work you should supply the full name and path of the file - including its extension - so that the application knows what to do with it. I also suggest using variable names that VBA is unlikely to confuse.

Dim wdApp As Object
    Dim wd As Object
    Dim strDoc As String
        strDoc = "C:\Path\doc1.docx" 'the full path of the document
        On Error Resume Next
        Set wdApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application") 'Get Word if it is running
        If Err Then
            Set wdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application") 'If not start Word
        End If
        On Error GoTo 0
        wdApp.Visible = True
        Set wd = wdApp.Documents.Open(strDoc)
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

VBAX Newbie
    Thanks for the reply but I AM supplying the full file name and I am NOT supplying the name "RAN2_101bis_Sanya." The code posted is only a small section of the code that does the opening of the file. If you download the file from the link above and try to open it in VBA, you will see exactly what I am talking about. Here is a subroutine that you can use to replicate exactly what I am talking about for yourself:

Sub Test()

Dim doc As String
        With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
            .AllowMultiSelect = False
            .Filters.Add "Doc Files", "*.docx; *.doc", 1
            .Show

If .SelectedItems.Count = 1 Then
                doc = .SelectedItems.Item(1)
            Else
                End
            End If
        End With

Dim wdApp As Word.Application

Set wdApp = Nothing
        Set wdApp = Application ' New Word.Application
        wdApp.Visible = True

Dim wd As Word.Document 

Set wd = wdApp.Documents.Open(doc)

End Sub
    BTW, it is only this file and files like this one that have an issue. Other files open fine. This file uses sharepoint security in some way but what is odd is that the file opens fine using Windows Explorer double click.

The download link in your linked page is a link to a zip file - http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/TSG_RAN/WG2_...R2-1802772.zip ?
    Word will not open zip files. However if the file is extracted, you do indeed get the log-in screen you referred to. If you escape from that screen without entering a value the document opens. So far I have not found a way to escape from that screen in code.
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

VBAX Newbie
    Yes that is the problem. However, if you open the file via windows explorer, the popup does not show up so it is something that is unique about VBA.

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gmayor View Post
    The download link in your linked page is a link to a zip file -
    Word will not open zip files. However if the file is extracted, you do indeed get the log-in screen you referred to. If you escape from that screen without entering a value the document opens. So far I have not found a way to escape from that screen in code.
    So I have discovered what is causing the issue. The document uses a template that is located on a SharePoint server but the template does not have public access. So for some reason opening the file in VBA is an issue but when opening the file in windows, there is no issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks