Consulting

Thread: Can't change Range.value

VBAX Newbie
    Can't change Range.value

I have been going mad for the past few hours. Have a search code that aims to compare a range of cells to a particular search string.
    I have validated that it searches at least 1 cell for substring matches but get stuck trying to print my answer to a cell. Simple as that. I know the column and row that I want to print to, I know the string that I want to put there but I keep getting 1004 and 424 errors. I have no problem reading a range.value, but assigning one is a different story. VBA is good when it works but I'm not a fan today. Any help would be wonderful. Code follows:

'Arguments: srch is string to be found, colRng is a column range, minMatch is min number of characters for match
    'Advise to use srch in right most column in the spreadsheet. Adjacent cells to the right will be populated with
    ' possible matches to the srch string in the colRng range
    Public Function findStr(srch As String, ColRng As Range, minMatch As Integer)
    Dim writeRng As Range
    MsgBox ActiveCell.Address
    printrow = ActiveCell.Row
    printcol = ActiveCell.Column + 1 'WARNING!!!! Will overwrite cells adjacent to search
    printcolLetter = Split(Cells(1, ActiveCell.Column).Address, "$")(1)
    For Each cell In ColRng
        x = cell.Value
        cellLen = Len(x)
        cellRow = cell.Row

For srchLen = cellLen To minMatch Step -1  'check for complete matches and down to matches with minMatch Characters
            startChar = 1 'reset start character in search

While startChar + srchLen - 1 <= cellLen
                strsch = Mid(x, startChar, srchLen) ' current substring of current cell to compare
                'MsgBox ("StartChar: " & startChar & "         srchLen:" & srchLen & strsch & "   StringCompare:" & StrComp(strsch, srch, vbBinaryCompare))
                If StrComp(strsch, srch, vbBinaryCompare) = 0 Then 'returning 0 indicates possible match
                    Worksheets(1).Activate
                    Set writeRng = Range(Cells(printrow, printcol), Cells(printrow, printcol))
                    Call writeRange(writeRng, x)

'Cells(printrow, printcol).Select

printcol = printcol + 1 'increment for next  possible result
                    startChar = cellLen + 1 'flag end of while loop as printed matched output for this cell

End If

startChar = startChar + 1

Wend
        Next srchLen
    Next cell
    End Function

Public Sub writeRange(rng As Range, txt)
    rng.Value = txt
    End Sub
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 10-15-2018 at 07:38 AM.

VBAX Sage
    1. I added CODE tags to your post - you can use the [#] icon to add CODE ... /CODE tags and paste your macro between

2. At a qucik glance nothing jumps out, but there's no test data or example of how it's used. I'm guessing that there's another sub??

Use [Go Advanced] and the paper clip to attach an example to make it easier
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Newbie
    Can't change Range.value

Thank you, Paul. I'm runnning the function in cell C4. The subroutine is just a short one liner because I was getting desperate. For test data that can be debugged at the command line, run from C4 and add breakpoint at "Call writeRange(.." Thank you very much.
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Sage
    I'm not sure that you can get that approach to work since functions return values and can't do much to the worksheet

I made a simple sub with a calling driver

I couldn't figure out the reason for the min number of characters

InStr is case sensitive this way

Option Explicit

Sub drv()
        Call findStrings(Range("C2").Value, Range("A4:A18"), Range("C4"))
    End Sub

Public Sub findStrings(srch As String, ColRng As Range, OutLoc As Range)
        Dim C As Range

For Each C In ColRng.Columns(1).Cells
            If InStr(C.Value, srch) > 0 Then
                OutLoc.Value = C.Value
                Set OutLoc = OutLoc.Offset(0, 1)
            End If
        Next
    End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

VBAX Newbie
    VLOOKUP_Partial - for substrings

Thank you very much Paul. You helped me by stating that functions can't change worksheets. I didn't realise this for some reason. I think it comes back to the definition of a function as something that returns a value but doesn't change any other states. I wanted a substring similarity search for two columns with a minimum number of shared characters in a substring.

VBAX Sage
    Functions CAN change worksheets since that's how they return a value. They just can't change a lot of things on a WS (things like Interior, Font, etc.) and there are some VBA properties that won't work in a function (e.g. .CurrentREgion)

Paul

2. Upload an example