Consulting

Thread: Ribbon disappearing bug / issue with getVisible and .Invalidate

Ribbon disappearing bug / issue with getVisible and .Invalidate

Hi,

I have a custom toolbar in excel and in it I have a toggleButton. I want the state of this button to be context sensitive depending on the formatting of the selected cell(s).
    To achieve this I have a custom class module that invalidates the ribbon every time there is a selection change. This forces a refresh of the getPressed attribute of the button which runs some logic to determine what state it should be in.

This all works fine, however I also have a getVisible tag for the entire ribbon tab which I am using as a sort of basic DRM. It checks against the username format of the company and disables the ribbon if it doesn't match.

Now the bug I am experiencing is, if I select a cell contents by either pressing "F2" or double clicking the mouse, occasionally (but not always) the entire ribbon disappears. When the worksheet selection is changed again, the .Invalidate fires and the ribbon reappears.

I know that if I remove the getVisible tag from the ribbon xml, I do not have this issue, so I believe it is something to do with that. Unfortunately as far as I can tell from testing it in isolation, the code always returns "enabled = True".

As it's quite a complicated set of subs to explain, I have attached an example - does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here?

Example.xlsm

EDIT: After further testing it seems to happen only with a particularly quick switch into a cell's contents occurs after a change of selection i.e
    Select a cell and hit F2 to enter it
    Hit return, immediately followed by F2 again (ribbon disappears)
    Hit return again or use mouse and the ribbon will return
    Last edited by rdekanter; 10-17-2018 at 04:40 AM.

VBAX Sage

Look at the !!!!!!!!! comments in my markup / rewrite

I think you might have over-complicated it

1. I removed the class and just use Workbook events

2. It seems 'fragile', i.e. depending on selection you may get error since Null is returned sometimes in

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG
    Sub CET_CenterAcrossState(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef pressed)
        Dim v As Variant
        v = (Selection.EntireColumn.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenterAcrossSelection)

If Not IsNull(v) Then       '   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            pressed = v
        Else
            pressed = False
        End If

End Sub
    3. Strictly speaking, subs in your 'EventHandler' module are 'Callbacks', just to be a nit picker

4. I had to force CET_DisableRibbon to be True to play with it

Sub CET_DisableRibbon(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef enabled)
        'Disable ribbon if the Windows username does not match the 9 digit UIN format
        enabled = (IsNumeric(Environ("username")) And Len(Environ("username")) = 9)
        enabled = True      '   Force
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Thanks for taking a look Paul

re #3 I'm self taught so I realise I often don't do or explain things in the proper way - I appreciate the criticism though as if no one tells me, I won't know!
    re #4 I stripped down my actual file when creating the example but forgot that it would disable itself for anyone that actually tried to help . It also explains the random bits of unexplained code you picked up on as I clearly missed those too.

The reason I have such a complicated method is because I will be turning the .xlsm into a .xlam addin which I can distribute to my team. That way, the toolbar is loaded every time a user opens an instance of excel, however it means the workbook event handlers will never trigger as the workbook itself isn't touched. The custom class is a workaround that I found in an example on the internet (although I admit I don't fully understand it).

As for your method, it didn't work for me as the button didn't toggle when a cell with the "CenterAcrossProperty" was selected. I did manage to get it working however by tweaking
    v = (Selection.EntireColumn.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenterAcrossSelection)
    to
    v = (Selection.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenterAcrossSelection)
    I'll try your method in an addin and see if it works, then post back.

VBAX Sage

I added the .EntireColumn when I was trying to figure out some of the inconsistant results depending on what was selected (or so I think I kind of remember)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

I can confirm that it doesn't work for the reasons stated above (i.e. when loaded as an addin, the events for the addin will never fire).

FWIW, this is where I got the original method from:
    http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00004_Make_..._to_events.htm

VBAX Sage
    That is for PowerPoint, but two more Excel-oriented articles are these

https://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/buildexceladdin05.asp

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/appevent.aspx

Paul

2. Upload an example

Yes, I adapted it from PPT but it does align with the links you sent.

I know this can be seen as a cop out (i.e. blaming someone else), but I am inclined to think this is a timing issue bug within Excel. You have to be very quick between button presses to have it happen so I think I might just live with it and hope no one notices