Consulting

Thread: Find-replace in Word so that it changes the formatting of the entire sentence/para

Find-replace in Word so that it changes the formatting of the entire sentence/para

Hello world,

I'm pretty sure that I've done this before with Find-Replace (and have not needed to resort to "For each...next" expressions). I can't find any previous posts specifically relating to this:

- Suppose that you have a sentence like "VBAExpress is great." and somewhere else in the document "VBAExpress rocks!".
    - I would like to do a find-replace in the document for all instances of "BAEx", for instance, and to make any para in which this is found italics.

My attempt (unsurprisingly) only italicizes the specific word searched for:

' Italicize BAEx paras
    Sub BAEx()
    Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
    Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
    With Selection.Find
    .Text = "BAEx"
    .Replacement.Font.Italic = True
    .Forward = True
    .Wrap = wdFindContinue
    End With
    Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    End Sub

Any help would be much appreciated!

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    The fundamental problem you'll have with a sentence-based Find/Replace is that neither Find/Replace nor VBA
    have any idea what a grammatical sentence is. For example, consider the following:
    Mr. Smith spent $1,234.56 at Dr. John's Grocery Store, to buy: 10.25kg of potatoes; 10kg of avocados; and 15.1kg of Mrs. Green's Mt. Pleasant macadamia nuts.
    For you and me, that would count as one sentence; for VBA it counts as 5 sentences.

Paragraph-level actions, however, are simple and don't even require a macro. A wildcard Find/Replace would suffice, where:
    Find = [!^13]@BAEx*^13
    Replace = ^&
    and the replace expression is set to italic.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Super, this works. Thank you! The sentences in my document happen to coincide with paragraphs, so I'm fine on that front.

I think I get all the wildcards except ^13. Why is that there?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    The [!^13] says to start at the first character that isn't a paragraph break. The *^13 says to find everything up to and including the next paragraph break.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]