Consulting

Thread: Check combos values and add if not already added

VBAX Newbie
    Check combos values and add if not already added

I've starting a new userform vba.in excel. I have a combo called Product which gets data from worksheet 2 dynamic named range. Product (range E:E)
    If the product I am inserting in the combo is not listed I would like to add the new product and update the combo and also if it is a new product I would need to add the specific gravity of the product. also on the same worksheet as a dynamic named range SG, (range F:F.) then continue filling the other combo's and text boxes on the userform.

Vic
    Last edited by VicA; 11-26-2018 at 01:37 AM.

VBAX Mentor
    so you enter/select a value in one combobox.
    If value exists, you populate the form with existing record data
    if value does not exist, you create a new record.

Not sure about the SG question, as you must already have the product details entered to have this available as a lookup or match.

You will likely find value in reading up on Access userforms as this is a common task in MS Access and uses much of the same logic

Werafa
    Remember: it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.....

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by werafa View Post
    so you enter/select a value in one combobox.
    If value exists, you populate the form with existing record data
    if value does not exist, you create a new record.

Not sure about the SG question, as you must already have the product details entered to have this available as a lookup or match.

You will likely find value in reading up on Access userforms as this is a common task in MS Access and uses much of the same logic

Werafa

VBAX Newbie
    Check combos values and add if not already added

Thanks Werafa

Only started VBA last week so not proud I've what I've done so fa"r, So I would like to add a message to say This Product does not exist do you want to add it. "Yes/No". If Yes the problem then is for each Product there must be an SG. this will be used later to calculate a price in litres how do I get the user to add the SG range as well and then continue with filling the UserForm
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Mentor

we all start somewhere, so don't apologise. also, this is the one forum that I actively support - in large part due to the lack of assumed knowledge and willingness by the pros to help newbies.

Use msgBox to ask a basic question. Goggle "excel vba msgbox" for details
    Use inputbox to get a user entered value via a popup dialogue: goggle "excel vba inputbox" for details

to give you a headstart, you might also wish to look up workbook open event (yes, just goggle "excel vba workbook open event")
    this will allow you to trigger a sequence of events when you open the workbook (you could also use worksheet activate - "excel vba events" will give you the full list of options)

you will need to break your job down into sequential logic - eg if this then do that. each discrete step should be a self-contained subroutine/function, and subroutines should ideally be small enough to fit on one screen (not always practical, but a good goal). this allows you to break your code into bite-sized chunks and debug them accordingly

a second tip - investigate the use of range objects. you can identify the table row you are working with, define it as a range object, and then interact with it in ways such as
    myRange(lRow,lCol).value = myValue
    instead of
    thisworkbook.worksheets("mySheet").range("A1").value=myValue
    this is good coding practice, and will simplify your job a lot - as you can define the range as one step, and populate it with data as a separate step.

regards
    Werafa
    Remember: it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.....