Consulting

Thread: Time to ask the expert on illogical issue

Time to ask the expert on illogical issue

Background: I have just finished writing a detailed "membership" program for a 1200 member computer club in a large retirement community. They chose MS Access included with MS Office 365.

1. they upgraded 4 computers to Win 10
    2. installed Office 365
    3. they have a win 7 machine running as a server which does nothing but serve as a file server

I used dropbox as a repository for my development and testing

All of the code and 3 modules run perfectly.

When we put the exact same program/data files on the server all hell breaks loose. Sporadic errors everywhere.

Move to dropbox. Less sporadic errors though

They have been playing with the server and I don't know what they did. However, this morning we tested a bunch of things and it seemed to work...

Operative word "seemed". We did 15 member renewals perfectly. Stepped away for about an hour with the program running. Nothing touched the computer because we were sitting near and could see no body went near it. We processed a new renewal and Error. We did nothing different. Says the table is "read only".

We exited the program and opened it again. No problem with that renewal.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    Could the Win 7 server be an issue?
    ttfn

Kicker

VBAX Guru
    Sorry, I can't help you with Server Issues, but it sounds like Time Out or table locking or permission problems.
    Do they have an IT person looking after it?

I appreciate that OBP. Since it is a computer club in a retirement community, .... well, let's just leave it at that.

The "technical team" of the club is looking into Win 10 issues with ver 1809 having fixes to compatibility problems. We shall see on that.

On my side, I am looking at the issues you mentioned. For the table locking, I don't have any tables open. I generally paint a form and close the recordset. Then use an UPDATE or INSERT query to save the data.

Thanks for the response. It is always good to hear from you
    ttfn

Kicker