Consulting

Thread: Any way to make this apply to a larger selection instead of just 1 cell ?

Any way to make this apply to a larger selection instead of just 1 cell ?

Hello.

anyone here willing to assist me with changing a formula to apply to more than 1 cell.
    see picture for more understanding.

i know i can repeat this formula in a new module for every line ( but i also know this is a very inefficient way of doing it )

:
    Sub MoveFile()
    'Graham Mayor - https://www.gmayor.com - Last updated - 30 Nov 2018
    Dim fso As Object
    Dim iPath As Long
    Dim vPath As Variant
    Dim strPath As String, strOldPath As String
    Dim strName As String
    Dim xlSheet As Worksheet
        Set xlSheet = ActiveSheet
        With xlSheet
            strPath = .Range("B7") & "\Approved"    'assign the target path to a string
            If UCase(.Range("I3")) = "YES" Then    'check if the move is approved
                Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                strOldPath = .Range("E3")    'assign the original file path to a string
                If fso.FileExists(strOldPath) Then
                    'extract the filename from the full name
                    strName = Split(strOldPath, "")(UBound(Split(strOldPath, "")))
                    'ensure the target path exists and create it if it doesn't
                    vPath = Split(strPath, "")
                    strPath = vPath(0) & ""
                    For iPath = 1 To UBound(vPath)
                        strPath = strPath & vPath(iPath) & ""
                        If Not fso.FolderExists(strPath) Then MkDir strPath
                    Next iPath
                    'move the file
                    Name strOldPath As strPath & strName
                    Beep
                    MsgBox "File moved to " & strPath
                Else
                    Beep
                    MsgBox strOldPath & " not found"
                End If
            End If
        End With
        Set xlSheet = Nothing
        Set fso = Nothing

Range("I3").Select
        ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=27
        Range("I3:I61").Select
        ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=-39
        Selection.ClearContents
        Range("A1").Select

Range("B7").Select
        Selection.Copy
        Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
            :=False, Transpose:=False
        Application.CutCopyMode = False

End Sub
    :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 12-23-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added CODE tags

The picture is too small to see clearly

VBAX Sage
    and I added CODE tags to your macro -- you can use the [#] icon to add them and paste your macro between them

There's a lot of recorder stuff (.SmallScroll and .Select, etc.) that are not needed

You mention applying a formula to more that just a single cell, but I don't see a formula in your macro so I'm guessing you meant something else

I don't understand what the 'more than one cell' would be (like all cells in col D that have data for example??).

If you could remove any lines that are not needed to show the issue, that would help to isolate

Also an sample workbook with the macro and some data would be helpful
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Sadly i cannot link a workbook.
    the problem put simply, this is a macro to move cells in col "I3" to path specified in "B7"+ & \Approved"
    i would like all cells between "I3" and "I100" to do the same as "I3" does now.

VBAX Sage

Sub MoveFile() 'Graham Mayor -
    https://www.gmayor.com
    - Last updated - 30 Nov 2018 Dim fso As Object Dim iPath As Long Dim vPath As Variant Dim strPath As String, strOldPath As String Dim strName As String Dim xlSheet As Worksheet Dim c as range Set xlSheet = ActiveSheet With xlSheet strPath = .Range("B7") & "\Approved" 'assign the target path to a string For Each C in .Range("I3:I100").Cells If UCase(C.Value) = "YES" Then 'check if the move is approved Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") strOldPath = .Range("E3") 'assign the original file path to a string If fso.FileExists(strOldPath) Then 'extract the filename from the full name strName = Split(strOldPath, "")(UBound(Split(strOldPath, ""))) 'ensure the target path exists and create it if it doesn't vPath = Split(strPath, "") strPath = vPath(0) & "" For iPath = 1 To UBound(vPath) strPath = strPath & vPath(iPath) & "" If Not fso.FolderExists(strPath) Then MkDir strPath Next iPath 'move the file Name strOldPath As strPath & strName Beep MsgBox "File moved to " & strPath Else Beep MsgBox strOldPath & " not found" End If End If Next End With Set xlSheet = Nothing Set fso = Nothing Range("I3:I61").ClearContents Range("A1").Select Range("B7").Select Selection.Copy Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _ :=False, Transpose:=False Application.CutCopyMode = False End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

Runtime error '53':
    File not found

its ment to be a tool for approving documents and moving them to an "approved" folder ( and creating it, if it does not exist ) this macro is simply to move the file from the "E colum" if the corrosponding Cell in the "I colum" states "Yes".

Example:
    I3, I7 and I12 states yes
    the files in E3, I7 and I12 gets moved to "B7 & \Approved" ( or create folder if it does not exist, and then move file to it ).

VBAX Sage

Try changing the line to

strOldPath = C.EntireRow.Cells(5).Value 'assign the original file path to a string

Paul

2. Upload an example

Works, Thanks.