VBAX Regular
    Help for interpretation of the code

Hello
    I received a code that doing an unstacking action
    from one column into multiply columns

I need help interpretation the rows in the code
    in order to understand what the code does
    thank you
    Sub SplitInto15CellsPerColumn()Dim X As Long, LastRow As Long, vArrIn As Variant, vArrOut As Variant
    LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    vArrIn = Range("A1:A" & LastRow)
    ReDim vArrOut(1 To 3, 1 To Int(LastRow / 3) + 1)
    For X = 0 To LastRow - 1
    vArrOut(1 + (X Mod 3), 1 + Int(X / 3)) = vArrIn(X + 1, 1)
    Next
    Range("B1").Resize(3, UBound(vArrOut, 2)) = vArrOut
    End Sub
    Last edited by macropod; 12-18-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Fixed code tags

Here is a very much layman's explanation of the code lines. I am certain there is a more technical description that someone else can provide :

Sub SplitInto15CellsPerColumn()
    Dim X As Long, LastRow As Long, vArrIn As Variant, vArrOut As Variant
    LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row                          'define last used row in Col A
    vArrIn = Range("A1:A" & LastRow)                                        'place all data in Col A used range into an array
    ReDim vArrOut(1 To 3, 1 To Int(LastRow / 3) + 1)                        'going to look at every third row, in groups of three
    For X = 0 To LastRow - 1                                                'begin process of selection
    vArrOut(1 + (X Mod 3), 1 + Int(X / 3)) = vArrIn(X + 1, 1)               'set the data selected to be entered into Col B rows
    Next                                                                    'repeat selection process until all data reviewed
    Range("B1").Resize(3, UBound(vArrOut, 2)) = vArrOut                     'enter selected data into Col B rows
    End Sub

As can see from the example below ... where I entered A1, A2, A3 .... etc ... up to A19 in column A, then ran the macro :

B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    H
    A1 A4 A7 A10 A13 A16 A19
    A2 A5 A8 A11 A14 A17
    A3 A6 A9 A12 A15 A18

The macro first goes down Col A and selects every third entry.

Then it goes thru Col A again, for the rows that were not selected for extraction the first time and selects every third entry again. If it makes it easier to understand,
    say the macro removes all the first selections and discards them. Then it removes all the blank rows from what was selected. Then it goes thru the Col A remaining list again.

Then in this example, the macro goes thru the Col A list again and selects the remainder.

I haven't tried a longer list, but I presume if you were to have a Col A list of say 100 rows, the total times the macro would goes thru the Col A data would be more than three times.

VBAX Regular

You are welcome.