Consulting

Thread: VBA intermittantly crashing in Excell 2011 & -16 (MAC)

VBA intermittantly crashing in Excell 2011 & -16 (MAC)

When using BOTH Excel 2011 & -16, I've experienced crashes when running macros that read and write cells on the same or different spreadsheets.
    Things go right, that is successful executions, and then problems can start. Also similar problems seem to be induced when deleting Immediate Window data while in the debug mode. Again only sometimes, but once things go south, mending occurs only after 1-or 2 computer restarts.
    It's like some sort of buffer fills up and then overflows overwriting VBA or the VBA spreadsheet code.

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?

I worked around this problem by transfering the macros to a clean new workbook. Everything runs now.
    But, I seem to recall I had the same problem with Windows Excel VBA years ago in a spreadsheet that used a lot of plotting. After frequent intense debugging sessions the macros wouldn't run either.
    So is macro fatigue something that is common knowledge?

I can't speak to your specific instances.

What I can relate is my system: Win 10/64 bit Excel 2007.

Occasionally I would experience workbook corruption, requiring moving the code to a new workbook in the same manner as you have done.
    But, after a few weeks the corruption would occur again ... or ... I would experience various issues just trying to get the code to function.
    It would work intermittently.

Several weeks ago I read online of a person who was using IOBIT software (defrag, anti-virus, anti-malware, system cleanup, etc.). That
    individual had experienced numerous problems across his system. I too was running IOBIT ....

I've completely rid my system of IOBIT software. So far ... no problems. (saying prayers .. fingers crossed .. sacrificed a chicken to the
    computer gremlins, etc.)

So far ... so good.

Now, even if you don't use IOBIT products, you might want to look at any commercial add-on software in your system.

(ps: thank you for admitting that a MAC has issues regardless of the source. I've grown very tired of listening to MAC owner who steadfastly
    state their MAC never has issues.)

Quote Originally Posted by Logit View Post
    I can't speak to your specific instances.

What I can relate is my system: Win 10/64 bit Excel 2007.

Occasionally I would experience workbook corruption, requiring moving the code to a new workbook in the same manner as you have done.
    But, after a few weeks the corruption would occur again ... or ... I would experience various issues just trying to get the code to function.
    It would work intermittently.

Several weeks ago I read online of a person who was using IOBIT software (defrag, anti-virus, anti-malware, system cleanup, etc.). That
    individual had experienced numerous problems across his system. I too was running IOBIT ....

I've completely rid my system of IOBIT software. So far ... no problems. (saying prayers .. fingers crossed .. sacrificed a chicken to the
    computer gremlins, etc.)

So far ... so good.

Now, even if you don't use IOBIT products, you might want to look at any commercial add-on software in your system.

(ps: thank you for admitting that a MAC has issues regardless of the source. I've grown very tired of listening to MAC owner who steadfastly
    state their MAC never has issues.)

I have to confess most of my problems are with Microsoft Software. For years, the Mac versions of Office have been inferior to the Windows versions.
    Based on my current issues, which reoccured just this morning (after 1 execution on a fresh worksheet), I'm seriously considering going back to doing VBA on a Windows virtual machine--Windows 7, and the comparable vintage of Excel.
    BTW, VBA on Mac Excel 2016 & -19 runs 3 times slower than on the 2011 Mac version. My virtual Windows machine runs excel about the same speed as the 2011 Mac version.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Jim