Consulting

Thread: Concatenating two ranges in MATCH function

VBAX Newbie
    Concatenating two ranges in MATCH function

Greetings to all! This is my first post!

I've been trying to handle MATCH function, concatenating two ranges for multiple columns search and it keeps telling me Error "13".

Here is the code line where it stops:

UserForm1.TextBox2.Text = Application.Index(Sheets("Plan1").Range("A1:E73"), Application.Match(UserForm1.ComboBox1.Text & Month(Date), Sheets("Plan1").Range("A:A") & Sheets("Plan1").Range("B:B")), 4)
    Note that this comand works as a cell formula in the "Match Example" workbook when i use ctrl+shift+enter, but VBA is unable to handle that using the same structure.

Can someone help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Sage
    Workaround, and I'd change the logic a little bit

Option Explicit

Dim aryTemp() As String
    Dim rData As Range

Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()
        Dim m As Long

With Me
            If Len(.ComboBox1.Text) = 0 Or Len(.TextBox1.Text) = 0 Then Exit Sub

m = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(.ComboBox1.Text & "#" & .TextBox1.Text, aryTemp, 0)

Application.EnableEvents = False
            .TextBox2.Text = rData.Cells(m, 4)
            Application.EnableEvents = True
        End With
    End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
        Unload Me
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_Change()
        Dim m As Long

With Me

If Len(.ComboBox1.Text) = 0 Or Len(.TextBox1.Text) = 0 Then Exit Sub

m = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(.ComboBox1.Text & "#" & .TextBox1.Text, aryTemp, 0)

.TextBox2.Text = rData.Cells(m, 4)
        End With
    End Sub

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
        Dim n As Long

Set rData = Sheets("Plan1").Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion

ReDim aryTemp(1 To rData.Rows.Count)

For n = LBound(aryTemp) To UBound(aryTemp)
            aryTemp(n) = rData.Cells(n, 1) & "#" & rData.Cells(n, 2)
        Next n
        UserForm1.TextBox1.Text = Month(Date)

End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Expert
        Dim f As String

TextBox1.Text = Month(Date)
        f = "INDEX(Plan1!A1:E73,MATCH(""" & ComboBox1.Text & Month(Date) & """,Plan1!A:A&Plan1!B:B,0),4)"
        TextBox2.Text = Evaluate(f)

End Sub

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mana View Post
        Dim f As String

TextBox1.Text = Month(Date)
        f = "INDEX(Plan1!A1:E73,MATCH(""" & ComboBox1.Text & Month(Date) & """,Plan1!A:A&Plan1!B:B,0),4)"
        TextBox2.Text = Evaluate(f)

End Sub
    Same error using Evaluate method.

VBAX Sage
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    Did you try the macro in post #2?
    Yes, it works. But I was trying to use a simpler logic. In mu original workbook (a lot more complex), I would have to repeat this routine for a large number o fields to fulfill lots of forms. Anyway, your solution works and it made me learn a new logic to use in other ocasions.

Thanks!

PS: I decided to create an auxiliar tab to feed the forms. In the worksheet I can use the MATCH method and other people who work with me can understand the code easily if they need to change that when i'm out (It has to be understandable to someone with less knowlege).

The MATCH method seems to be incompatible to anything but string (including range) when using VBA, it's a pity.

VBAX Sage
    Yes, it works. But I was trying to use a simpler logic. In my original workbook (a lot more complex), I would have to repeat this routine for a large number o fields to fulfill lots of forms. Anyway, your solution works and it made me learn a new logic to use in other occasions.

Thanks!

PS: I decided to create an auxiliar tab to feed the forms. In the worksheet I can use the MATCH method and other people who work with me can understand the code easily if they need to change that when I'm out (It has to be understandable to someone with less knowledge).
    If the other fields are just additional instances of the 3, you can modularize the logic. Look at the last 2 subs below.

Making it understandable to someone else is very important, or even yourself 6 months from now when you have to go back and look at it

You can make this even more general purpose (but more complex) by using Classes. I did a very complex application before I retired where using Class modules and Interface modules would have really helped, but I knew I had to turn it over to someone else so I kept their learning curve as simple as possible

Capture.JPG

Option Explicit

Dim aryTemp() As String
    Dim rData As Range

Call pvtComboBox_Change(Me.ComboBox1, Me.TextBox1A, Me.TextBox1B)
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1A_Change()
        Call pvtComboBox_Change(Me.ComboBox1, Me.TextBox1A, Me.TextBox1B)
    End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox2_Change()
        Call pvtComboBox_Change(Me.ComboBox2, Me.TextBox2A, Me.TextBox2B)
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox2A_Change()
        Call pvtComboBox_Change(Me.ComboBox2, Me.TextBox2A, Me.TextBox2B)
    End Sub

'===========================================================================================================
    Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
        Dim n As Long

Set rData = Sheets("Plan1").Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion

ReDim aryTemp(1 To rData.Rows.Count)

For n = LBound(aryTemp) To UBound(aryTemp)
            aryTemp(n) = rData.Cells(n, 1) & "#" & rData.Cells(n, 2)
        Next n
        UserForm1.TextBox1A.Text = Month(Date)
        UserForm1.TextBox2A.Text = Month(Date)

End Sub

'=========================================================================================================== '===========================================================================================================
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Unload Me End Sub Private Sub pvtComboBox_Change(CB As MSForms.ComboBox, TBA As MSForms.TextBox, TBB As MSForms.TextBox) Dim m As Long If Len(CB.Text) = 0 Or Len(TBA.Text) = 0 Then Exit Sub m = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(CB.Text & "#" & TBA.Text, aryTemp, 0) Application.EnableEvents = False TBB.Text = rData.Cells(m, 4) Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub Private Sub pvtTextBox_Change(CB As MSForms.ComboBox, TBA As MSForms.TextBox, TBB As MSForms.TextBox) Dim m As Long If Len(CB.Text) = 0 Or Len(TBA.Text) = 0 Then Exit Sub m = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(CB.Text & "#" & TBA.Text, aryTemp, 0) Application.EnableEvents = False TBB.Text = rData.Cells(m, 4) Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub

Paul

2. Upload an example