Consulting

Thread: How to reduce file open time and screen flicker (with custom RibbonXML)

VBAX Contributor
    How to reduce file open time and screen flicker (with custom RibbonXML)

Hi folks

So I've got this workbook with an additional custom tab inserted in the ribbon via XML (CustomUI Editor) for each worksheet.

This works quite well, but when opening the file, it takes a few seconds accompanied by some screen flicker, ribbon turing white...; and I'd like to make the user experience more smooth.

A copy of the ribbon XML code is located in the module "mod7RibbonX" in the attached file, in case that's helpful.

Any ideas to optimize?

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Sage
    I run with "Show Add In errors" and it flagged you're setting the QAT in the CustomUI but not in StartFromScratch

I deleted that part of the CustomUI, and I didn't notice any objectional flicker, so see if that helps

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Contributor

Many thanks for your reply. I've had no idea about this error...that is great input. So I've deleted the QAT part and it seems a tiny bit faster now.

However, on opening, the file still goes into "Not responding" for part of a second with a white ribbon. The file I've posted lacked the Workbook Open Event (sorry, my bad).

So I guess that I've put some code in there that slows it down. I'd be happy to get some feedback, if you find the time of course.

What I don't understand is the cascade of events between the ribbon load and the workbook_open event

Cheers Ted
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nikki333; 01-07-2019 at 03:25 PM.