Consulting

Thread: UNable to get vlookup property of worksheet function class

VBAX Regular
    UNable to get vlookup property of worksheet function class

I'm attempting to run the code below, but I get this worksheet function class error. Have tried many different ways, same error. Debugging shows Error 2042 on Range L1. Don't know what to do.

I am looking up the value in K1 in Dashboard worksheet - which is the number 1 in my Validation worksheet in cells B2:C13. The number 1 is in B2, and the value to be returned is in C2 = January. I want it to be shown in L1 Lon the Dashboard worksheet. They do exist.

Range("L1") = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Dashboard").Range("K1"), Sheets("Validation").Range("B2:C13"), 2, False)

Any ideas appreciated.

VBAX Expert
    It works fine in my version of Excel (2007) on windows 7

VBAX Sage

I did add the "Sheets("Dashboard")." since otherwise it uses L1 on whatever sheet is active

Option Explicit

Sub test()
        Sheets("Dashboard").Range("L1") = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Dashboard").Range("K1"), Sheets("Validation").Range("B2:C13"), 2, False)
    End Sub

Make sure that K1 and B2:B13 are the same type and you're not mixing String and Long
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Regular
    Thank you for all your help. I still have the same problem, so it must have to do with string and long? The lookup value and the result value are formatted as 'general' in my worksheet. I'm guessing I have to declare a variable, but not sure what/how?

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
    Thank you for all your help. I still have the same problem, so it must have to do with string and long? The lookup value and the result value are formatted as 'general' in my worksheet. I'm guessing I have to declare a variable, but not sure what/how?
    Possibly, but it'd be easier to see if you could attach a small piece of the troublesome workbook -- just enough data and macro to demo the issue
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Regular
    I decided not to use a pivot table at all. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the help as well