Consulting

Thread: Remove Duplicates keeping most recent change

VBAX Regular
    Remove Duplicates keeping most recent change

Hey Vbaxers,

I have a spreadsheet that uses code to track changes to company contact information, it copy's and pastes that company information to another sheet in the file. There may be multiple changes for the same company, each change is going to be timestamped using "=NOW()" as to when it was changed. On the sheet, the timestamp is in column A and the potential duplicate company I am looking for is in column H, so if there are two records for the same company in column H, I only want to remove the oldest timestamped record (remove the entire row) and keep the most recent change. Hope that makes sense. Any help is, as always, is much appreciated!

VBAX Sage

Start at bottom and delete row N if Company(N) = Company(N-1)

Or attach a small sample workbook
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Regular
    Here is a sample workbook. I have of course stripped all personal information out of it but in this example I have two entries for ABC Truck Driving School and 3 entries for XYZ Truck Driving School each with different time stamps (which are now in column D rather than column A as of my previous post), I only want to keep the most recent record for each of the two schools.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dim r&, cnt&, d As Object, rng As Range, s$
    With Sheets("Update Master Sheet")
      cnt = .[d65536].End(3).Row
      If cnt <= 2 Then Exit Sub
      Set d = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
      For r = 2 To cnt
        s = .Cells(r, 11).Value
        If d.exists(s) Then
          If .Cells(r, 2) > .Cells(d(s), 2) Then
            If rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = Rows(d(s)) Else Set rng = Union(rng, Rows(d(s)))
            d(s) = r
          Else
            If rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = .Rows(r) Else Set rng = Union(rng, .Rows(r))
          End If
        Else
          d(s) = r
        End If
      Next r
      If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.Delete
    End With
    End Sub

VBAX Sage

Option Explicit
    Sub Macro1()

Const colCompany As Long = 9
        Const colDateTime As Long = 2

Dim dataSheet As Worksheet
        Dim dataAll As Range, dataNoHeaders As Range
        Dim rowCheck As Long

Set dataSheet = Worksheets("Update Master Sheet")
        Set dataAll = dataSheet.Range("C1").CurrentRegion
        Set dataNoHeaders = dataAll.Cells(2, 1).Resize(dataAll.Rows.Count - 1, dataAll.Columns.Count)

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With dataSheet.Sort
            .SortFields.Clear
            .SortFields.Add Key:=dataNoHeaders.Columns(colCompany), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
            .SortFields.Add Key:=dataNoHeaders.Columns(colDateTime), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
            .SetRange dataAll
            .Header = xlYes
            .MatchCase = False
            .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
            .SortMethod = xlPinYin
            .Apply
        End With

With dataAll
            For rowCheck = .Rows.Count To 3 Step -1
                If .Cells(rowCheck, colCompany).Value = .Cells(rowCheck - 1, colCompany).Value Then
                    If .Cells(rowCheck, colDateTime).Value <= .Cells(rowCheck - 1, colDateTime).Value Then
                        .Cells(rowCheck, colCompany).Font.Strikethrough = True  '   for testing - remove and uncoment line below
    '                   .Rows(rowCheck).Delete
                    End If
                End If
            Next rowCheck
        End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

VBAX Regular
    WOW! I have no idea how this works but it certainly does. I sometimes have the delusion that I am good with VBA and then I visit this site, all of you have helped me so much over the years and I am truly grateful. Thank you Paul, much appreciated!

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    WOW! I have no idea how this works but it certainly does. I sometimes have the delusion that I am good with VBA and then I visit this site, all of you have helped me so much over the years and I am truly grateful. Thank you Paul, much appreciated!
    It's important to try and understand 'How' it works so ask questions, no matter which approach you decide to use.

After all, six months from now you'll decide you need a fix, change, or enhancement and it's much faster to make it yourself.

A lot of the time, just single stepping through the macro and seeing what each line does can make it a learning experience. Also using the Immediate Window and Watch Window to see what's happening can be very useful

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/debugging-vba-code

Paul

2. Upload an example