Consulting

Thread: Trouble with CountIF Function in VBA, I think

VBAX Newbie
    Unhappy Trouble with CountIF Function in VBA, I think

Hi Guys,

I spent a bunch of time writing a big macro to pull data from one sheet of my workbook onto another in a very fiddly way, but I can't even get it to run due to runtime errors. Here's the first bit, which runs into 'Error 438: Object doesn't support this property or method' on the line that starts "xLines = ...". I've already tried jiggering it around to get it to work a bit. My original code, on the line below, returns "Error 424: Object required'. SaleSheetData is a named data range, found on sheet "Sale01", with Workbook scope. I tried the Google, and a forum search, but didn't find anyone who'd done whatever foolish thing I seem to have done.

Dim numLines As Integer
    Dim xLines As Integer
    Dim yLines As Integer
    Dim blankLines As Integer
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim wSale As Worksheet, wPO As Worksheet, wTemplate As Worksheet
    Dim matchX As String, matchY As String
    Dim SaleSheetData As Range

Set wSale = Worksheets("Sale01")
    Set wPO = Worksheets("PO")
    Set wTemplate = Worksheets("Templates")
    Set SaleSheetData = wSale.Range("SaleSheetData")
    matchX = "Ducks"
    matchY = "Chickens"

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

xLines = Application.WorksheetFunctions.CountIf(Range(SaleSheetData.Offset(0, 80), SaleSheetData.End(xlDown)), matchX)
    yLines = WorksheetFunctions.CountIf(WorksheetFunctions.Index("SaleSheetData", 0, 80), matchY)
    numLines = xLines + yLines
    blankLines = WorksheetFunctions.CountA(wPO.Range("B19:B1000"))
    This part of the macro is just supposed to get the number of chickens and ducks from the sale sheet, to be used for a number of things later in the macro, and the chicken/duck/other column is column 80 (don't ask) in the range. Hopefully I can fix whatever is wrong globally, but this is also the only section that calls worksheet functions, so if there's a better way to do it wholly within VBA, I'm open to that, too.

Thanks in advance!

VBAX Sage

You have a Range variable named SaleSheetData, and a Named Range called SaleSheetData (I never use the same name for things since I get confused)

Set SaleSheetData = wSale.Range("SaleSheetData")

but it looks like you're inconsistent here when you use the object variable and the name of the range …

xLines = Application.WorksheetFunctions.CountIf(Range(SaleSheetData.Offset(0, 80), SaleSheetData.End(xlDown)), matchX) yLines = WorksheetFunctions.CountIf(WorksheetFunctions.Index("SaleSheetData", 0, 80), matchY)

Maybe you want something like this??

xLines = Application.WorksheetFunctions.CountIf(Range(SaleSheetData.Offset(0, 80), SaleSheetData.End(xlDown)), matchX) yLines = Application.WorksheetFunctions.CountIf(Application.WorksheetFunctions.Index(SaleSheetData, 0, 80), matchY)

No data to test with so you'll have to give this a try yourself. Although I'm not sure about your Range(…)

You can simplify a little

With 
    Application.WorksheetFunctions
        xLines = .CountIf(Range(SaleSheetData.Offset(0, 80), SaleSheetData.End(xlDown)), matchX)

yLines = .CountIf(.Index(SaleSheetData, 0, 80), matchY)

End With

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

It's Application.WorksheetFunction and not Application.WorksheetFunctions...
    Be as you wish to seem

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Aflatoon View Post

…..
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Aflatoon View Post
    I am both sad that that was the issue, and happy that that fixed the macro. Thanks so much, Aflatoon! And thanks, Paul, for the suggestion on the With Application.WorksheetFunction, that's made the code much cleaner! Also, I'd just included the "yLines=..." line above to show my original code, so you could let me know if I was moving in the wrong direction. I've since updated that line to be similar to the "xLines" line, and the macro's off and running!

Thanks again!!

VBAX Newbie
    Actually on second thought I made the "xLines" line like the "yLines" line, since the With makes it so much cleaner.