Consulting

Thread: Combine rows of data in to one cell

Combine rows of data in to one cell

I have a worksheet that contains a unique ID in column B. In column G there is other associated data. How do I combine the several rows of data in column G into one cell? Example of column B and G:

1 ASDF
    1 SDF
    1 ADSF
    1 ASDF
    2 ASDF
    2 ASDF
    2 DFASDAS
    2 ASDF

So I'd want all of the data associated with unique ID 1 in a single cell, but not in one long string.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Assuming you have headers in row 1 and the data body starts in row 2, you can have a formula in a spare column (I used column I) in row 2 such as:
    =TEXTJOIN(" ",TRUE,IF($B$2:$B$9=B2,$G$2:$G$9,""))
    This formula is committed to the sheet with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter.
    Then copy the formula down.
    Then you can copy/paste as Values the results of that formula, in situ, then do a remove duplicates operation using only columns B and I to find those duplicates.
    In the attached, I copied Sheet1 and did that (as well as deleting the data in column G).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Thank you very much! Any way to maintain the data so it's not one long string, e.g. end result in one cell would be:

ASDF
    SDF
    ADSF
    ASDF

Instead of
    ASDF SDF ADSF ASDF

try:
    =TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,IF($B$2:$B$9=B2,$G$2:$G$9,""))
    Attached Files Attached Files
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Thanks again for your help. When I try this i receive a #NAME? error. I've tried what was in the worksheet: =_xlfn.TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,IF($B$2:$B$9=B2,$G$2:$G$9,"")) as well as what you provided above: =TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,IF($B$2:$B$9=B2,$G$2:$G$9,""))

It looks like you're working on a Mac or a version of Excel prior to Excel 2016?
    It's my bedtime here, so tomorrow sometime I'll cobble together a user-defined function to replace the missing TEXTJOIN function.
    I'll probably steal it from https://www.reddit.com/r/excelevator...ks_valuerange/ (you could use that yourself?)
    p45cal

I'm on Excel 2016. I put that function in and it works now. Thank you very much!