Consulting

Thread: AutoFit issue

VBAX Contributor
    AutoFit issue

Hi Folks

I'm trying to use the autofit method on a cell range using VBA, however, it seems to have no effect.

Consindering rows, the problem seems to be the same as if doing a double-click on the header between rows...sometimes it does autofit and other times not. So, I'd like to understand why it doesn't auto-adjust to the needed height at times, while it does work sometimes.

My guess is that once the row height in question has been set, there is no way back; and then the autofit method gets useless. but i'm hoping someone will tell me i'm wrong

"My guess is that once the row height in question has been set, there is no way back; and then the autofit method gets useless. but i'm hoping someone will tell me i'm wrong"

If I correctly understand your comment .... you are correct. Once a row or a column has been adjusted to fit the data within, the autofit command doesn't have an effect.

VBAX Contributor
    Somehow the row must be flagged then as "adjusted". Is there a way to get it "unflagged" again?

In my case, moreover, the cell in question is a merged range of 4 cells in a row, with text wrapping set to true. Apparently autofit doesn't work on merged cells.

I replicated what you described.

Although I haven't found a workaround yet, I'll continue to search. Or perhaps someone else on the FORUM has a solution ?

Sub autofitwidth()
    Dim i As Integer
    Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit
        For i = 1 To ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count
            Columns(i).ColumnWidth = Columns(i).ColumnWidth
        Next i

Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A").EntireRow.AutoFit
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Contributor
    I've found a workaround; it's not very elegant, but it works

- First I loop through the merged range (all in a single row) to get the columnwidth property of each of the cells
    - Then I copy the merged range to a standard cell and set it's column width to the width of the merged range to get the correct row height (with text wrapping set to true)