Consulting

Thread: VBA Macro button to open a folder derived from the (partial) name in a selected cell

VBAX Newbie
    VBA Macro button to open a folder derived from the (partial) name in a selected cell

Hi all

I run Excel 2016 on Windows OS.
    My goal is to create a macro button which would open the folder location, based on partial data (left,7) from my current selected/active cell.
    This should allow me to select any cell which has viable data in it and open the direct folder on our server of it.

Example of the data in my current selected cell: AN0089V ISSEP SV
    Example of the folder's path I require to retreive: H:\BEND\000. TELECOM SITES\TELENET\AN\AN0089V

I do run a similar method directly out of a hyperlink function: =HYPERLINK("H:\BEND\000. TELECOM SITES\TELENET"&""&LEFT(A10;2)&""&LEFT(A10;7)
    This formula is however linked to fixed data (A10). In my current worksheet I don't have fixed data and this would like to apply that formula to my selected cell.

The VBA code I have so far, allows me to open up the destination folder (TELENET) but I can't manage to get the .left function in VBA code to work properly, in order to get to the final destination.
    Additionaly, the part where I link that .LEFT function to my selected cell (twice), first for the first 2 letters, than for the 7 first letters, I also don't get to work.

This is what I manged to work:
    Call Shell("explorer.exe" & " " & "H:\BEND\000. TELECOM SITES\TELENET""", vbNormalFocus) --> Opens the TELENET folder, the easy part. The next step is to open a folder based on cell date from my selected/active cell.

At this point I got stuck:
    Call Shell("explorer.exe" & " " & "H:\BEND\000. TELECOM SITES\TELENET""" & "" & " left(ActiveCell,2)" & "" & " left(ActiveCell,7)", vbNormalFocus) --> somehow this prompts me to the 'documents' folder.

Feel free to provide some help, would be much appriciated :)
    If additional info is required, please don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to the forum! When building a string, I like to do it simply so I can verify that it was built right.

Sub Main()  
      Dim s$
      s = "explorer.exe " & """" & "H:\BEND\000. TELECOM SITES\TELENET\" _
        & Left(ActiveCell, 2) & "\" & Left(ActiveCell, 7) & """"
      Debug.Print s
      Shell s, vbNormalFocus
    End Sub

VBAX Sage
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Newbie
    Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Hobs View Post
    Welcome to the forum! When building a string, I like to do it simply so I can verify that it was built right.

Sub Main()  
      Dim s$
      s = "explorer.exe " & """" & "H:\BEND\000. TELECOM SITES\TELENET\" _
        & Left(ActiveCell, 2) & "\" & Left(ActiveCell, 7) & """"
      Debug.Print s
      Shell s, vbNormalFocus
    End Sub

Works excellent, just as intended. Thanks alot Kenneth!!! Much appriciated!!!
    Belgian greetings.