Consulting

Thread: Pass public variable to Sub

Pass public variable to Sub

Public strSubject As String
    Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)
    strSubject = Item.Subject
    MsgBox (strSubject)
    UserForm1.Show
    End Sub

Private Sub ButtonOK_Click()
    MsgBox strSubject
    End Sub

This is a test program. I want to pass the value in var strSubject to the form when i click a button.

When i click the button it showing empty.. Could someone help how to pass a public variable to sub

Your first macro goes in the ThisOutlookSession module
    The second goes in the Userform code
    The variable declaration must go in an ordinary module so it will be seen by both macros.
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

Quote Originally Posted by gmayor View Post
    Your first macro goes in the ThisOutlookSession module
    The second goes in the Userform code
    The variable declaration must go in an ordinary module so it will be seen by both macros.
    Thanks gmayor.... i want to capture the subject of email using the first macro... and pass it to userform code... so how can i define the variable in ordinary module.. can u provide a sample... if i create a ordinary module, will the script get triggered when a mail is sent?

please help...

VBAX Sage
    I think all you need to do is insert a third Standard Module with just the one line:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    I think all you need to do is insert a third Standard Module with just the one line:

Hi Paul,

Thanks.. Im very new to this... could you please give bit more details on " insert a third Standard Module ".. whats the standard module means...

i have added the Public in the begining of the code... any reason this not working....

VBAX Sage

Capture.JPG
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

As Paul says, you need to create a new module as he has shown and you put the line (and nothing else required) in that new module.
    The macro
    Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)
        strSubject = Item.Subject
        MsgBox (strSubject)
        UserForm1.Show
    End Sub
    without that line goes in the ThisOutlookSession module, shown at the top of the folder list in Paul's illustration.
    The macro
    Private Sub ButtonOK_Click()
        MsgBox strSubject
    End Sub
    goes in the Userform code. The userform will then show when you click 'Send' on a message.
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

VBAX Sage
    One additional comment / suggestion / personal style:

I like to keep userform (UserForm1) and application (ThisOutlookSession) code limited to only those macro(s) that are truly part of the object, and just call any non-Object macros that I have in a standard module

So if ButtonOK_Click() needed to update a database for example (instead of Msgbox), instead of inserting X number of lines in the event handler, I'd just call a stand alone sub in a standard module

You can mark this thread SOLVED -- #3 in my sig

Paul

2. Upload an example

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    One additional comment / suggestion / personal style:

I like to keep userform (UserForm1) and application (ThisOutlookSession) code limited to only those macro(s) that are truly part of the object, and just call any non-Object macros that I have in a standard module

So if ButtonOK_Click() needed to update a database for example (instead of Msgbox), instead of inserting X number of lines in the event handler, I'd just call a stand alone sub in a standard module

You can mark this thread SOLVED -- #3 in my sig

It worked... Thanks