Consulting

Thread: "orientaion" parameter in vba SORT

VBAX Regular
    "orientaion" parameter in vba SORT

The following statements, as part of a VBA sort routine, work as intended.

With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(Sh).Sort
    .SetRange Range1
    .Header = xlGuess
    .MatchCase = False
    .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
    .SortMethod = xlPinYin
    .Apply
    End With

I use the routine repeatedly in a single Sub to sort on both rows and columns depending on what sheet I am sorting. I would like to replace "xlTopToBottom" with a variable, so that, where appropriate, I can set the orientation variable to 1 or to "xlLeftToRight". This doesn't seem to work. Can it be done?

Thanks.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    I'm sure you can, but realise it isn't the only aspect of the sort that needs to change, see also the Key range (although if you used a single cell as the Key being the intersect of the column you want to sort on and the row you want to sort on, it should work).
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular
    The routine works ok if I use xlRightToLeft explicitly, so it's just a matter of using a variable.
    That, I can't get to work.

Show us your code as it is and we'll tweak.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular

VBAX Regular
    Here's a section of the code. The array is read in properly and the parameters r1, rl, etc. are correct. (At one point I was using the boolean value B to set the value of "orient".) I have tried "orient" as a string (eg "xlTopToBottom") and as an integer (1 or 2), defining "orient" properly in each trial. If I use "xlTopToBottom" or "xlLeftToRight" explicitly in place of "orient", the sort works fine. With "orient" as a number, the execution stops on ".Apply" - "Sort reference is not valid". With orient as a string, it stops at ".orientation" with a "type mismatch" error.

For L = 1 To 5

Sh = XArray(1, L)       ' sheet to be sorted
                r1 = XArray(2, L)       ' first row in whole matrix (col in PREORDER
                rL = XArray(4, L)       ' last row in active matrix  (col in PREORDER
                c1 = XArray(5, L)       ' first col in whole matrix   (row in PREORDER)
                cL = XArray(6, L)       ' last col in whole matrix   (row in PREORDER)
                c2 = XArray(7, L)       ' col of Supply Code   (row in PREORDER)
                c3 = XArray(8, L)       ' col for retailer names   (row in PREORDER)
                c4 = XArray(9, L)       ' col of Face Values   (row in PREORDER)
                cT = XArray(15, L)      ' col of Type Retailer  (N/A in INV ACC, ORDER FORM or PREORDER)
                B = XArray(16, L)       ' Boolean value to use in orientation  

If L < 5 Then
                    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(Sh)
                        Set Range1 = .Range(.Cells(r1, c1), .Cells(rL, cL))             ' Entire range to be sorted 
                        Set Range2 = .Range(.Cells(r1, c2), .Cells(rL, c2))             ' supply code
                        Set Range3 = .Range(.Cells(r1, c3), .Cells(rL, c3))             ' retailer name
                        Set Range4 = .Range(.Cells(r1, c4), .Cells(rL, c4))             ' product value
                        Set Range5 = .Range(.Cells(r1, cT), .Cells(rL, cT))             ' Type of retailer
                    End With
        orient = 2      ' top to bottom
        End If

If L = 5 Then
                    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(Sh)
                        Set Range1 = .Range(.Cells(c1, r1), .Cells(cL, rL))             ' Entire range to be sorted  
                        Set Range2 = .Range(.Cells(c2, r1), .Cells(c2, rL))             ' supply code
                        Set Range3 = .Range(.Cells(c3, r1), .Cells(c3, rL))             ' retailer name
                        Set Range4 = .Range(.Cells(c4, r1), .Cells(c4, rL))             ' product value
                    End With
        orient = 1      'left to right
        End If

Select Case S
            Case 1   ' Sort by Name, product Value only
                    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(Sh).Sort.SortFields.Clear
                     ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(Sh).Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range3,  SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
                     ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(Sh).Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range4,  SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal

With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(Sh).Sort
                        .SetRange Range1
                        .Header = xlNo
                        .MatchCase = False
                        .Orientation = orient
                        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
                        .Apply
                    End With
    Two other cases follow with the same structure.

There's a lot there to try and reproduce the error, especially as I don't know what's in XArray.
    However, I do notice two lines and especially their comments:
    orient = 2 ' top to bottom
    orient = 1 'left to right

When I enumerate xlTopToBottom in code generated when recording a sort operation I get the value 1. Could this be a cause of the problem?
    p45cal

VBAX Regular
    Microsoft says "[orientation] Specifies if the sort should be by row (default) or column. Set xlSortColumns value to 1 to sort by column. Set xlSortRows value to 2 to sort by row. (This is the default value.)" I'll try it the other way round!

I await with bated breath…
    p45cal

VBAX Regular
    By Jove it works! Thank you, thank you, p45cal. Perhaps I didn't understand what "sort by rows" means. However, the default orientation is TopToBotton which to me means sorting by rows. We here in the colonies do have a fairly good grip on the English language. Your help is much appreciated.