Consulting

Thread: Find and Replace based on Selection only

VBAX Newbie
    Find and Replace based on Selection only

Trying to modify this code to select a range and then have find & replace. Since the words may appear in other areas of the worksheet I only want the selected range.
    ie. the attached sheet - If I select G:G in the Input Box, B:B will not change

Sub FindReplaceAll()

Dim sht As Worksheet
    Dim fnd As Variant
    Dim rplc As Variant
    Dim x As Long
    Dim rng As Range

Set rng = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Please select the range with the mouse", Title:="Selection required", Type:=8)

fndList = Array("Unsubstantiated", "Substantiated", "Insufficient information to substantiate")
    rplcList = Array("Invalid", "Valid", "Insufficient")

rng.Cells.Replace What:=fndList(x), Replacement:=rplcList(x), _
              LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, _
              SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Sub FindReplaceAll()
    Dim sht As Worksheet
    Dim fnd As Variant
    Dim rplc As Variant
    Dim x As Long
    Dim rng As Range

Set rng = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Please select the range with the mouse", Title:="Selection required", Type:=8)
    answ = 1
    If rng.Cells.Count = 1 Then answ = MsgBox("Only one cell selected so this will affect the whole worksheet" & vbLf & "Contine?", vbOKCancel, "")
    If answ = 1 Then

fndList = Array("Unsubstantiated", "Substantiated", "Insufficient information to substantiate")
      For x = LBound(fndList) To UBound(fndList)
        rng.Cells.Replace What:=fndList(x), Replacement:=rplcList(x), LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False
      Next x
    End If
    End Sub
    Edit after posting:
    After doing some testing, the message about only one cell is not necessary on my version of Excel (Office 365) - it used to be. So depending on what version of Excel you have the code could be shortened:
    Sub FindReplaceAll()
    Dim sht As Worksheet
    Dim fnd As Variant
    Dim rplc As Variant
    Dim x As Long
    Dim rng As Range

rng.Cells.Replace What:=fndList(x), Replacement:=rplcList(x), LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False
    Next x
    End If
    End Sub
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    Sub FindReplaceAll()
    Dim sht As Worksheet
    Dim fnd As Variant
    Dim rplc As Variant
    Dim x As Long
    Dim rng As Range

answ = 1
    If rng.Cells.Count = 1 Then answ = MsgBox("Only one cell selected so this will affect the whole worksheet" & vbLf & "Contine?", vbOKCancel, "")
    If answ = 1 Then

Next x
    End If
    End Sub
    Edit after posting:
    After doing some testing, the message about only one cell is not necessary on my version of Excel (Office 365) - it used to be. So depending on what version of Excel you have the code could be shortened:
    Sub FindReplaceAll()
    Dim sht As Worksheet
    Dim fnd As Variant
    Dim rplc As Variant
    Dim x As Long
    Dim rng As Range

Next x
    End If
    End Sub
    This is fantastic - as my first post on this forum I am very pleased with the speed, alternate ideas or solutions given.

VBAX Newbie
    P45Cal - Fantastic! I really appreciate the added version - above and beyond the call! - Since I have to deal with clients still using 2003 and up, I'll keep with your first version but keep the second in reserve.
    Again Thanks!
    Jim