Consulting

Thread: Cant write into FormFields after apply ActiveDocument.Prtotect wdAllowOnlyFormFields

VBAX Newbie
    Cant write into FormFields after apply ActiveDocument.Prtotect wdAllowOnlyFormFields

Hi

I created a word file from nomal dot, adding a RichText ContentControl (with Default Properties) and a Command Button with following Code:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then ActiveDocument.Unprotect
    Application.ActiveDocument.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, Password:=""
    End Sub

When click on the command button, it is not possible, to write into the RichText ContentControl-Form Field.

When closing and opening the word file, the FormField gets editable again. Any idea, what goes wrong?

PS: I reduced the problem to a minimal example. The real workflow is: Start with a protected word file, which contains a table. The word file contains a button which is linked to a macro to add a new row to the table (i.e. unprotect docuement, add row, protect document again) to insert then new information into the formfields.

PS2: I use Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
    Attached Files Attached Files

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    A RichText Content Control is not a Formfield. Since your document contains no code for updating the content control, it's impossible to know what the cause of your problem is.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Newbie
    Thank you for your quick answer, I see, that I mixed up ControlContents and FormFields.

Thus, I have to ask my question in a different way: I want to add in a protected document a ControlContent with a macro, so that i can put some text in the ControlContent afterwards. The code of the macro would be:

If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then ActiveDocument.Unprotect
    Set objCC = ActiveDocument.ContentControls.Add(wdContentControlRichText)
    objCC.Title = "Comments"
    objCC.SetPlaceholderText , , "Comments"
    Application.ActiveDocument.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, Password:=""
    Obviously this does not work. Thus, the question is now, can I protect the word file with vba in such a way, that the user can put text into, e.g. RichText-ControlContent some text?

Why would you be adding the content control with code, rather than having one already in position?
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Newbie
    The macro adds a new row to an existing table. The content of the new row ist a Dropdown CC, datepicker CC, and finalliy I Need an object for free text Input. Since the number of rows cannot be predected, it must be possibe to add them at "runtime".

Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]